Looking for sturdy Porta-Pro replacers
Jul 17, 2012 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Namyekins

New Head-Fier
Hey, I could use some advice regarding portable headphones. I did some searching on my own, but I didn't really spot anything that really fits my particular needs.

I've been a long time user of the Koss Porta Pros as my go-to portable headphones. Sound-wise, they've worked perfectly for my use when plugged directly in to my smartphone. The problem is that in the last three years or so I've been forced to replace 6 pairs of them, due to identical physical breakdown. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the build quality, but the left speakers keep dying over and over due to the cord breaking near the jacks end. I've managed to make them last longer by applying additional support to the strain relief, but I think that the things are just too flimsy when used by me. So after I broke my 7th pair, I'm now looking for something else.

I've been using various cheaper Sennheisers like the PX90's and old PX100's as in-between headphones, but I'm looking for something a bit more bassy. After the porta pros the two Sennheisers feel a bit flat and distant to my taste. I mainly listen to different kinds of electronic music with bass emphasis, but I really do enjoy softer acoustic instruments like piano and cello from time to time, especially with jazz and it's derivatives. I'm not too keen on guitar or electric guitar heavy music, like most rock etc. I'm not great at communicating in hi-fi terminology, but I think what I'm looking for is pretty warm and bass friendly.

Portability is obviously good, but it doesn't need to be quite as foldable as the Porta Pros are, I'm fine with carrying larger headphones as long as they aren't super massive circumaural ones, and have a reasonably short cord. Cord thickness and solid strain relief would be a massive plus in my case. Supra-aural or lighter circumaural is preferred. Inner ear ones aren't workable at all without custom fits, so those are entirely out of question right now.

Finally, price range can go as far as 100-150$, but I'd honestly like to stick to the 50-100$ range first, in case I manage to mangle the cord again.
rolleyes.gif

Any recommendations would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back