Looking for something really different
Jul 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
I've been satisfied with my RE0 over the past few months. It was fun at first, going back through my songs and hearing them in higher clarity. However, the RE0 really is kind of boring. The dynamics can be dreary, and warmth is noticeably lacking.

I've decided that I really want something with more warmth, bass, and especially more dynamics. Decent soundstage wouldn't hurt. I was thinking of getting a pair of JH5, but honestly I just can't justify the price right now. If I had the money I'd just get a JH13 and never worry about this again, except for the occasional refit.

So I've given thought to taking another dip into the wonderful world of universal fit. I've been thinking strongly about picking up a used Radius DDM. The Klipsch Custom 3 is also an option. For, say, <$150 what would you guys recommend me to try?

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 25
the radius ddm seem really appealing only conserns I have is if they will fit well and microphonics.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 25
Fischer Audio Eterna, the exact opposite of the RE0? Radius DDM is a good suggestion as well. You can also try the Hippo EB/VB, Fischer Audio DBA-02 or some Turbines.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 25
Yeah, another vote for Radius DDM, Hippo VB is an awesome choice as well as DBA-02. Last one are sold out can't get them anywhere right now. The bass in DBA is rather weak in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 25
I just want to put in the dba are quit appealing but if you want the opposite of the reo than ddm would probably be a better fit. The dba is more of a balanced iem through and through. They will have better bass than the reo, as well as be funner sounding. But the dba will still be characterized as a natural analytical headphone. So if you want extreme warmth and rattle your brain bass then these aint it. But ddms fitting or should I say, possible lack off has got me scared.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 25
custom 3 , gets my vote or a used westone 3 maybe 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 25
Yeah, the last few times buying headphones I've undershot for bass and warmth and ended up unsatisfied. I'm not that worried about the Radius fit, I guess if I'm buying it used I won't lose that much in value. I really want to try the Westone 3/IE8, but I just don't have the money. The Custom 3 would be more appealing if not for the cables; I wonder if getting a Custom 3 custom fitted would be a decent option? Practically unsellable though.

I've read the DDM is very similar to the IE8, which is one of the main reasons I want to try it. Fit is troublesome, but like I said, I might be convinced to give it a shot if they're really that good.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 25
Get Radius in "black". Be the first one on this forum to own one. Pioneer Huray!

Here
http://cgi.ebay.com/Radius-HP-TWF11R-W-Pro-in-ear-Headphones-FREE-Shipping-/220644813514?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item335f74aaca

or here   http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Products.html

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 25

The purple radius is worse looking in person than the pics make it out to be. Yes get the black. Unless you want to hate it. 

I like the Monster Turbine Pro series... lots of detail and bass. 

How about EQing the RE0s? Doesn't work out?

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 25
Well, the JVC FX500s are very unique.  They have some amazing bass, not just in the quantity, but in the detail, quality, depth, and the texture.  The mids and highs are also very detailed, and the texture of strings is just amazing.  Their only negatives are that the mids are slightly recessed and the highs can be very shrill, which can be remedied a bit with the right tips and when you take out the filters.  Also, the soundstage is the largest I've heard in an IEM.

As usual this is just one of many, many recommendations from people with vastly different opinions.  Your best bet is to look up a huge amount of reviews and finally make your difficult decision.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:
The purple radius is worse looking in person than the pics make it out to be. Yes get the black. Unless you want to hate it. 

I like the Monster Turbine Pro series... lots of detail and bass. 

How about EQing the RE0s? Doesn't work out?

Nah, it did. I can get some "warmth" out of them by emphasizing mid bass, but it really isn't the same. They're competent IEMs no doubt, I just want something more fun. I don't really want to lug around a portable amp (which might have cured them of weak dynamics and bass deficiency), and a change of pace would be nice. It would be even nicer to have good ergonomics, but I guess that costs 
tongue.gif

I'm leaning towards the DDM. I don't want the FX500 because I've heard the mids are weak; I don't mind downplayed (i.e. loudness curve style) mids, but I can't stand any type of deficiency there. The RE0 were pretty good in this regard.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 25
were can you find it for 130 new?

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 25
That change of pace is more important than anything else... I find with different sound signatures I can appreciate different music, and it's all about the music in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back