Looking for some new headphones, preferably sound-isolating (either closed or noise-cancelling) over or around the ear, in the $100 range
Aug 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Blackened

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, the title says pretty much everything. I have some Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, and have tried my friend's Koss Porta Pro, but other than that I don't have much experience with headphones. I don't like listening to music too loud, so I prefer to have some sort of isolation from the exterior rather than cranking up the volume to compensate for outside noise. I'd prefer a more neutral sound, but I also enjoy a nice bass :wink: I don't mind bigger headphones, as long as they can somehow be folded and carried inside a case/bag.

My budget is in the $100/€100 range, I may be willing to go a bit higher if it's justifiable. What are my options?

Cheers

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Anyone? I really could use some advice, I don't have much experience in trying out different headphones and don't know of any local store with a googe selection to try out.

Cheers

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Hey everyone, the title says pretty much everything. I have some Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, and have tried my friend's Koss Porta Pro, but other than that I don't have much experience with headphones. I don't like listening to music too loud, so I prefer to have some sort of isolation from the exterior rather than cranking up the volume to compensate for outside noise. I'd prefer a more neutral sound, but I also enjoy a nice bass :wink: I don't mind bigger headphones, as long as they can somehow be folded and carried inside a case/bag.

My budget is in the $100/€100 range, I may be willing to go a bit higher if it's justifiable. What are my options?

Cheers

Hi, Blackened!

I would recommend you to serch for headphones there

There's a great selection of noise cancelling headphones. I bought Sony MDRNC7 from this company a few months ago and I'm fully satidfied!! So you may also find something interesting for you there))).
Good luck!
gs1000.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 8
For what it is worth, I originally started with closed portable cans for use at work, tried noise canceling and then was introduced to iems from this forum.  If you haven't looked into it, as far as best sound quality and isolation and portability for price goes, you'll be way better off in an iem than a portable.   I've heard Boss NC, Audio Technica and Sennheiser, and the $100 etymotic hf3s beat the $400 Sennheisser in isolation, sound quality and portability hands down.

Quote:

Cheers

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
For what it is worth, I originally started with closed portable cans for use at work, tried noise canceling and then was introduced to iems from this forum.  If you haven't looked into it, as far as best sound quality and isolation and portability for price goes, you'll be way better off in an iem than a portable.   I've heard Boss NC, Audio Technica and Sennheiser, and the $100 etymotic hf3s beat the $400 Sennheisser in isolation, sound quality and portability hands down.

Yeah, the few IEMs I've tried surprised me in terms of sound quality and isolation, but I just don't find them very pleasant in terms of comfort.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Yeah, the few IEMs I've tried surprised me in terms of sound quality and isolation, but I just don't find them very pleasant in terms of comfort.

I have to admit the first ones I tried were Etymotic HF3 and it took a little bit to adapt to them comfort wise.  Now however, I find them more comfortable than any of my standalone ones.    I put on my T1s and wonder how I put up with all the weight on my head all the time :)  I also find I have a lot more flexibility in when / where I can use them, and end up using them a lot more as a result.  It's just so much more enjoyable to sit back in a comfy chair and listen then having to sit at my desk chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back