looking for some help, aprox $100 or under (I could go up to $150), no amp needed good looking cans
May 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and he loves my K701s, is there something I can get for him with a similar look and sound sig for around $100, I don't want to fuss with an amp for him so preferably something that doesn't need one. I know one of the big selling points on the K701s for me was the soundstage but I don't think that's what he likes about them. I think he just wants a nice clean sound without a heavily distorting sound sig, closer to the original sound the better. Also I think it would be good to mention he doesn't like the look of grados at all and the bigger these cans the better. Thanks everybody.

May 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 6
K271s. They have a close enough sound fwir. Probably the closest you're going to find under $150. I can use them unamped, and they sound pretty good. They don't sound as good as from a HTR though.

May 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 6
I think the es7s are pretty darn good looking with a pretty clean sound, but coloured nonetheless(which can isn't, right?)

AD700s have been really popular these last few months although their FOTM-effect has kinda toned down. But IMO, they are ugly as..

Does it matter if it's opened or close? Does the portability factor matter? Does he have any particular music preferences?

May 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the quick responses guys. He lives in boston so it would be good for them to be portable enough to walk around with, I do think open would be better even though he is looking for portability. That being said he is a pretty tall guy and he isn't shy, he considers my k701s portable cans. He listens to a lot of different things, classical, some light rock, a little house, if I had to pick 3 bands that need to sound good on these headphones I'd say Cake, The Pillows and the Video Games Live Orchestra.

May 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 6
AD700 sounds close enough to K701's (wide soundstage, clear throughout the range but with less prominent mids and not as refined, even more comfortable) and have the added bonus of being able to go unamped. Main problem will be with the aesthetics; they are even bigger than the K701 and the colour choice of gold and purple may not suit most men.

May 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 sounds close enough to K701's (wide soundstage, clear throughout the range but with less prominent mids and not as refined, even more comfortable) and have the added bonus of being able to go unamped. Main problem will be with the aesthetics; they are even bigger than the K701 and the colour choice of gold and purple may not suit most men.

Thanks for the help everybody! I showed him the 700s and he really liked them, I think I'm going to go with these for him.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back