Looking for some good IEMs
Dec 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Trae

500+ Head-Fier
Budget: $400 or less

Sound Signature: I prefer a generous bass bump with neutral mids and highs. I also appreciate a large soundstage, as that is the single-most important aspect for me when it comes to the sound characteristics (you can't equalize a better soundstage).

Fit: I want them to fit snug and not be prone to falling out. A removable cable would be nice too.

Usage: They're primarily going to be used outdoors, and I'd prefer for them not to stick out too much and have good isolation. They should be able to stay in while running, for example. I'll also wear them while in bed.

BA/Dynamic/Hybrid: It doesn't really matter as long as the above are met.

Source: They are primarily going to be run off of my phone. I might grab an E18 or something since the crosstalk performance of my phone is horrible when headphones are used.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 14
Check out the Aurisonics Bravo Series.  The Kicker has just a dynamic driver, Forte has a DD + BA, Harmony has a DD + 2 BA.  Basically the Kicker is the warmest while the Forte adds some treble from the BA and the Harmony has more treble yet with 2 BA.  All of them have ample bass.  They're over-ear universal fit with replaceable cables and a decent warranty.  I was able to get them from Amazon.  I think the Harmony is over $400 but the other two are under your budget :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, I can't find a good amount of reviews, measurements or impressions to feel comfortable buying any of them. Plus, I can't even find anyone who sells them.

I think I've narrowed it down to two IEMs: The UE900 and the IM04 (Still open to other suggestions, though). I'm leaning towards the IM04 because it looks more comfortable and because I've had good experiences with AT's headphones in the past. Does anyone have any impressions on these two IEMs? Thanks!

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 14
I think the IM04 is very much what you're looking for. That, or the IM03, if you want a little extra air, while maintaining quite a lot of bass.

I went from IM03, up to 04, and back to 03, because I missed that open, airy quality.

The IM04 can be called dark. The 03 is simply neutral-warm.

Smartphones might have a hard time driving them well. I know the IM03 (32 Ohms) can sound a little dull on my Galaxy S6. On any decent DAP, it possesses great dynamics.

Looking into an amp is certainly going to help.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 14
  Have you thought about custom IEM-s? 

I have, but if I wanted to sell the IEMs or give them to someone else in the future, that wouldn't really be possible.

Try flc8 S, w4 and ie8/80. All of them are on the headphone list, so you can read a bit about them.

I've read the reviews on all of them from that website, and the FLC8S looks really neat! Since I'm a pretty avid headphone modder, something like this would be right down my alley. Due to how they're shaped, they look like they'd fit really well inside the curve in my ear.

I've also heard great things about the ie80 for a while. They're also a good bit cheaper than the ones I'm looking at.
I think the IM04 is very much what you're looking for. That, or the IM03, if you want a little extra air, while maintaining quite a lot of bass.

I went from IM03, up to 04, and back to 03, because I missed that open, airy quality.

The IM04 can be called dark. The 03 is simply neutral-warm.

Smartphones might have a hard time driving them well. I know the IM03 (32 Ohms) can sound a little dull on my Galaxy S6. On any decent DAP, it possesses great dynamics.

Looking into an amp is certainly going to help.

Thanks for the impressions! I wonder if the lack of air you experienced with the IM04 was because of the darker tonality versus the IM03? I know that when I equalized some of the headphones I've made, bringing up the treble while accounting for resonances really opens up the sound. As far as the amp goes, I'm definitely going to pick up the E18 along with whatever IEM I choose.

It looks like now I'm going to have to decide between the ie80, IM04 (and possibly 3), and the FLC8S. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Much appreciated.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 14
I've decided on the ie80s. The pretty much offer everything I'm looking for. They're well under $400 (229 at @), they have some bass, a large soundstage, removable cable, decent isolation, and they look like they'll fit in my ears well.

What I don't like is what I'm seeing on these FR measurements. It looks like the bass boost bleeds into the upper bass and lower mids which can cause it to sound a bit muddy and veiled - characteristics that I've heard from some folks when describing them. The frequency response from the mids onwards actually looks pretty good, but it looks like there are some resonances up in the treble. Fortunately, all of these issues can be mitigated by equalization, so after those are dialed in, these should sound really good.

We shall see if my observations before purchasing them are correct.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 14
It has only been 3 months since I got my IE80 and I am already looking for a good replacement. It is not a bad IEM. In fact for $230 it is definitely a steal when you factor in other things like the build quality, product support (warranty) and reliability. But as for sound itself, it has got some serious limitations. Soundstage wise, there is hardly any IEM in this price range that could beat the IE80 (I have heard that Havi B3 Pro has an expansive soundstage but I have never had the chance to listen to it). But you compromise on so many other things when you seek just the soundstage. The bass and the trebles are pretty good too. But there are many options in the market right now that out-perform IE80 in most fronts. I realized these things only after I purchased mine.

Except for the mids and vocals, the IE80 works out great for me. If you care least for the mids, you can get these and you will be more than happy. But you still have some time, My advise to you is: take some more time to read about more IEMs. I have been reading about the JVC HA-FX850 and apparently from what many say, it easily outperforms IE80. The only problem with the FX850 is that they don't isolate well and also their bulky housing makes it difficult for few to get a good fit and comfort.

Also look into Sony XBA A3.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Too late. I'll have them in Sunday. The FX850 and A3 stick out a bit too far for my tastes. What don't you like about the IE80s?

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 14
  Too late. I'll have them in Sunday. The FX850 and A3 stick out a bit too far for my tastes. What don't you like about the IE80s?

Yes, the very reason why I did not get the FX850. 

What I don't like about IE80:
-The mid-bass hump,
-The recessed mids and
-The overall lack of resolution and clarity(when compared to recent IEMs).

All these contribute to a somewhat veiled sound and in certain cases even muddy.

The mid-bass hump and the recessed mids are inherent to the IE80 and are a characteristic of it's sound. 

IE80 is just a slightly tuned, modified and improved version (actually some prefer the IE8 over the IE80) of the IE8 which came out in 2008. More recent IEMs with
Dynamic Driver IEMs (like JVC FX850, IE800, Flare RA IEMs, Audio Technica IEMs) or 
Balanced Armature IEMs (like Shures, Westones, UEs, Etymotics, Sonys) or
Hybrids (Fidue A83, Dunu DN1000 and DN2000, Aurisonics IEMs)  
have surpassed IE80's resolution and clarity. 

But otherwise, it is a great IEM: Build Quality, Soundstage, Bass and Treble are just great. IMO, Overall the sound is warm and smooth and literally no sibilance. The comfort may not be top notch but with right tips it can get better. And so is the isolation. Isolation is not my top priority so it doesn't affect me much. It sits fairly shallow in your ears. The cable may look thin, but is pretty sturdy and also supple. The supple cable and the shallow fit allows for a easy putting on and taking off.
Edit: And these are the very reasons why I can't seem to let go off these and am not able to find a good replacement in the same price range. It just works out perfectly for practical reasons. I only wish it had better clarity and resolution. When I say lack of resolution, don't mistake it for details. There are plenty of details. Its more like IE80 is 1080p display with 4 million colors. What I would like is a 1080p disply with 16 million colors.

Based on my comment, it may appear that IE80 is a bad IEM. Not at all. Just saying that there are better options out there. If this is going to be your only IEM and you don't care about the mids, IE80 would be a great choice. Otherwise I would look else where. If you already have a couple of IEMs and would like to add a flavor to your collection IE80 would be a great addition. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 14
I fixed the shortcomings of the IEM. When I put them on, I immediately noticed the V-shaped sound signature. I quickly made an EQ to fix it. I was very surprised with the soundstage on these things. I definitely prefer these over my K7XXs after EQ in all areas.

I'm sure I could tweak it a bit more, but this is pretty much my preferred sound signature. The fact that these IEMs are able to achieve that while having an en extremely convincing soundstage, great build quality, pretty good comfort (had to use double flange), and great fitment, I'm very happy with my decision.

Thanks again for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 14
  I fixed the shortcomings of the IEM. When I put them on, I immediately noticed the V-shaped sound signature. I quickly made an EQ to fix it. I was very surprised with the soundstage on these things. I definitely prefer these over my K7XXs after EQ in all areas.

I'm sure I could tweak it a bit more, but this is pretty much my preferred sound signature. The fact that these IEMs are able to achieve that while having an en extremely convincing soundstage, great build quality, pretty good comfort (had to use double flange), and great fitment, I'm very happy with my decision.

Thanks again for the help guys. Much appreciated.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the IE80. You could also try this to tame the mid-bass further: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569527/sennheiser-ie80s-impressions-thread/6870#post_12142016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back