Looking for some full sized cans for work.
Jan 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Firstly, when I say I am looking for some can's for work, I do 90% of my listening at work, so I am not looking for a cheap pair of throw around headphones, these will essentially be my main pair :).

Ok with that out of the way.

I am looking to spend up to about $700usd.
Open or closed back, I have used closed in the past, but I currently have a pair of the Bushmill's x Grado's which appear closed, however leak like an open headphone regardless.

They need to be light and comfortable.  I would consider anything up to 350g suitable.  I wear them for extended hours so the lighter the better really. 

Sonically (is that a word, spell check would suggest not), I want something that has good bass extension/detail/texture, nice lush mids and a good level of detail to the sound.  Preferably not shrill or harsh in the highs.  As an example, my favourite headphones I have owned to date were my LCD2 with Silver Dragon Cable, coming in second are these My Alpha Dogs/Grado's/HD650's.

I listen to a lot of acoustic rock (say, Alice in Chains - MTV - Unplugged for example), cruisy electronic music like 90's Trance and bands like Daft Punk.  I also listen to rock, Various Metal Genre's, vocals.  Generally I need something that will excel with acoustic guitar/vocals but can present across the board somewhat ok.  

Lastly, if I cant drive it well with a portable amp, its probably not going to suit.  I am willing to box up headphones and cart them to work etc, however I dont want to have to lug amps etc as well on the commute :)

Anyway, wall of text over, let me know what you think :)

My current thoughts are RS1i, PS500 (very different beasts I know), HD700's (Curious on these as there are love and hate reviews)

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 11
Hahaha no.

I have the Bushmills Grado's which are an aesthetically closed grado.
I had the LCD2's probably 12 months ago however the weight caused me neck pain and headaches so I moved them on
I had a similar issue with the weight of the Alpha Dogs and also moved on from those.
The HD650 was prior to the LCD2's, also sold, however I wouldn't be apposed to revisitting them.

At present I own Senn Amperior's (which I cannot wear for more than about an hour at a time due to the pressure put on my ears with glasses on, the Grado's and a pair of HifiMan RE400's that I use on the train.

I am thinking of selling the Grado's and the Amperiors if I can find a nice pair to wear for work as an alternative.

Thanks.

Scott

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 11
Hmm - seems like you are running out of upper model options! You have covered Sennheiser, Audeze, Grado, HiFiMan & Mr. Speakers. Let's see, who's left in this price range? Shure, AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyer, Ultrasone... ?

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Hey,

I don't feel the need to progress through each brand as such.

I was quite happy with the HD650's though found them to be dull at times when I needed a bit extra attack on the music.
Audeze is out as all of their headphones are weighty.

Happy to revisit Senn, Grado etc etc.

Guess I am just after some idea's to throw into the mix with the RS1i and the HD700.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 11
I use Fostex TH600's for work. High clarity and excellent bass extension. I drive them with a Burson Conductor SL but they sound excellent straight out of my HiFiMan HM-801. Also the most comfortable headphones you can find, very light so you don't know they're there, but they don't fold up for transport.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 11
  I use Fostex TH600's for work. High clarity and excellent bass extension. I drive them with a Burson Conductor SL but they sound excellent straight out of my HiFiMan HM-801. Also the most comfortable headphones you can find, very light so you don't know they're there, but they don't fold up for transport.

Hi there,

I was thinking about these also, however I have only heard them very briefly and they seemed very bass/treble orientated.  Would you agree?
How do you feel these perform with Acoustic rock (Clapton, Alice in chains, NIrvana unplugged etc)

Thanks for the advice :)

Scott

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Yes the TH600 frequency response is a bit V shaped but not nearly so much as the Denon D series it replaced. In fact I use the Jet Audio player EQ with lowered sliders between 100 and 300 Hz, and between 5 and 8 KHz. They have the extended bass and highs clarity you are looking for but not the lush mids. Acoustic guitar is certainly present but not forward like with my LCD3's. However for me this voicing is good for extended listening due to very little fatigue. I can literally wear them for 8 hours straight with the only negative consequence being slight ear sweat here in the hot Miami environment.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Yes the TH600 frequency response is a bit V shaped but not nearly so much as the Denon D series it replaced. In fact I use the Jet Audio player EQ with lowered sliders between 100 and 300 Hz, and between 5 and 8 KHz. They have the extended bass and highs clarity you are looking for but not the lush mids. Acoustic guitar is certainly present but not forward like with my LCD3's. However for me this voicing is good for extended listening due to very little fatigue. I can literally wear them for 8 hours straight with the only negative consequence being slight ear sweat here in the hot Miami environment.

Thanks for the informative response :)
I will add these to the list to audition :)
As I have said I have heard the th600 but only briefly and it was just direct out of a phone. They seemed flabby in the bass but I never attributed that to anything but a lack of power/source quality.
Thanks again.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 11

I...I currently have a pair of the Bushmill's x Grado's which appear closed, however leak like an open headphone regardless.

Originally Posted by Wyd4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was quite happy with the HD650's though found them to be dull at times when I needed a bit extra attack on the music.
Audeze is out as all of their headphones are weighty.

Happy to revisit Senn, Grado etc etc.

The HD650 was prior to the LCD2's, also sold, however I wouldn't be apposed to revisitting them.

This is because the earpads are both not circumaural, meaning they sit on instead of around your ears and therefore leave a lot of open space for sound to get in or out, and also because those Grado pads don't have much mass to act as noise dampeners. I wouldn't expect the full-size GS1000/PS1000 earpads to be that much of an improvement in that department.

Hi all,

Firstly, when I say I am looking for some can's for work, I do 90% of my listening at work, so I am not looking for a cheap pair of throw around headphones, these will essentially be my main pair :).
I am looking to spend up to about $700usd. Open or closed back...
They need to be light and comfortable.  I would consider anything up to 350g suitable.  I wear them for extended hours so the lighter the better really. 
Sonically (is that a word, spell check would suggest not), I want something that has good bass extension/detail/texture, nice lush mids and a good level of detail to the sound.  Preferably not shrill or harsh in the highs.  As an example, my favourite headphones I have owned to date were my LCD2 with Silver Dragon Cable, coming in second are these My Alpha Dogs/Grado's/HD650's.

I listen to a lot of acoustic rock (say, Alice in Chains - MTV - Unplugged for example), cruisy electronic music like 90's Trance and bands like Daft Punk.  I also listen to rock, Various Metal Genre's, vocals.  Generally I need something that will excel with acoustic guitar/vocals but can present across the board somewhat ok.  

Since you're not opposed to getting HD650 again (or even the HD600) I'd put a vote for it - your fit and SQ requirements make the HD600/650 are your best bet. The savings on them you can spend on ear pads - with the amount of use you'll put on these, get a spare pair from the start and swap 'em out often so as not to wear them out too quickly; also as opposed to wearing out one pair and making do with the sound of it for a while, you get a more average (between brand new and really worn out pads) sound for longer. If you still have 'em I'd just take them to work since open-back isn't an issue and buy spare pads. I have the HD600 and cycle two pairs (one a year older, but I only use them about one hour a day, an not everyday), listening mostly to metal, jazz, vocals, and a little classical, and the only thing I wish it had was angled drivers like on the HD800 (or angled earpads like on the K701/702/712) but I'm not rushing to get anything else. 

The AKG K701/702 or Q701 are also possible choices but AFAIK the earpads are about $90 a pair.

Lastly, if I cant drive it well with a portable amp, its probably not going to suit.  I am willing to box up headphones and cart them to work etc, however I dont want to have to lug amps etc as well on the commute :)

It depends on which portable amp we're talking about here. I had a CMOY and I never liked it on the HD600 - too warm, bass was also too loud but there's audible distortion when they hit (4.5v peak-to-peak swing off a 9v battery). I still have a D-Zero though and it's at least worth the $60 premium over that older CMOY I had (bought it from a DIY-er who made a batch) given it has a DAC too, but still I use it mostly with my Android or iPad when the power's out (during strong enough storms over here I kill the mains and use battery lamps, considering I live a few kilometers from a river). I also had a diyMod and an Ibasso PB1 before and while I never thought the power was inadequate, the combo was a little bit too warm still. Switching to a Lisa amp or a 160gb Classic solves a bit of that, except the Classic was more 2D in imaging while a portable amp that has only 2 hours battery life might as well have no battery and just use the mains. Also, it doesn't have to be strictly portable - Magni and Modi are transportable, and I've seen some set-ups here where a padded case (like a Pelican) for cameras, etc, with a customizable foam interior can fit these and a headphone. You can just leave the power supply at the office so no need to fuss with how it's laid out to be out of the way when using the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back