Looking for some advice, and hello!
Aug 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #31 of 36
Your post has good timing. I'm out and about and happen to be listening to a set of Urbanite on-ears at the very moment at a store right now. I'm actually quite surprised, I thought they would have more accented bass. But they are actually quite balanced though with rolled off treble. Very comfortable.

They don't have the sparkle as my Amperior but somehow a bit more spacious. The pads are very similar to the Amperior. These are very good.

I would say these are every bit as good as the hd25 and perhaps even better. They are smoother in presentation and do lack a bit of high end detail. Which could be an issue, but the rest of the spectrum is excellent.

Perfect for relaxing or strolling about.

The only thing that kept me from getting the Urbanites was that I was under the impression that the HD25 sounded better than the Urbanites. Reading this makes me very happy. I guess that I know what I'm going to do when I get back from holiday.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 36
I find my HD25-1 a bit hard to drive without amping. They have nice balanced signature with good bass and mids but somewhat unnatural highs and narrow soundstage. I prefer my onkyo ES-FC300 over the Senns and over the Momentum 1 over-ears for that matter. But nothing can beat the LCD-2 even paired with an ODAC/O2. :p.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #33 of 36
Any opinions on the Solo2 vs the Urbanite?
Listening to the video review from IF and it seems quite good. For my music taste:

Indierock, indiepop, hip-hop, folkpop.

Artists like Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick Lamar, Ultimate Painting, Foster the People, Angus & Julia Stone, Vance Joy.

The thing I have with the Solo2 is that I have this thing in my head that it performs really well in the hip-hop genre but less in the alternative scene (indiepop/rock etc).

Another reason I'm asking is because I can get it somewhat cheap cause Apple has this back to school offer that gives a free Beats headphone with a Macbook.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #34 of 36

How exactly can a headphone sound dated? Surely for something to be described as being dated, it has to be subject to fashion - I wasn't aware there were fashions in sonic presentation. Latest doesn't always mean greatest: I tried Senn's new HD8 DJ and HD6 Mix and neither were as good as the HD-25 IMO - the former was too bass-heavy and the latter too lean-sounding.

Have you tried the HD-25 Aluminium? I'll agree that none of the HD-25 range is optimal straight out of a smartphone (hardly surprising), but I haven't found an on-ear portable I prefer yet. The DT1350 came close, but the pads are a bit small - hard to get a good seal. Maybe I'll give the Urbanites a go as well.

I meant the HD-25's were passable a decade ago before portable audio got huge and all the headphones got louder and better, but now they suck in comparison to all the new portable headphones. HD-25's sound very weak and just don't have the kick of the newer cans, which is why Sennheiser came out with new better sounding designs such as the Urbanite and the Momentum.

If you don't max out volume then you can't tell the difference but if you do play it loud the difference is like night and day. HD-25's get left in the dust.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #35 of 36

I meant the HD-25's were passable a decade ago before portable audio got huge and all the headphones got louder and better, but now they suck in comparison to all the new portable headphones. HD-25's sound very weak and just don't have the kick of the newer cans, which is why Sennheiser came out with new better sounding designs such as the Urbanite and the Momentum.

If you don't max out volume then you can't tell the difference but if you do play it loud the difference is like night and day. HD-25's get left in the dust.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then - I don't share your impressions at all!

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #36 of 36
Any opinions on the Solo2 vs the Urbanite?
Listening to the video review from IF and it seems quite good. For my music taste:

Indierock, indiepop, hip-hop, folkpop.

Artists like Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick Lamar, Ultimate Painting, Foster the People, Angus & Julia Stone, Vance Joy.

The thing I have with the Solo2 is that I have this thing in my head that it performs really well in the hip-hop genre but less in the alternative scene (indiepop/rock etc).

Another reason I'm asking is because I can get it somewhat cheap cause Apple has this back to school offer that gives a free Beats headphone with a Macbook.

Anyone? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back