Looking for replacement for DT-911
Nov 7, 2004 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

romesaz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
i'm a n00b here(done some minor lurking though), to put it kindly, and have some questions about headphone suggestions.

My dad and I currently own a pair of DT-911s, however, we've had them for about 10 years now (when were they released?) we bought them in 94/early95 while in Germany, fortunately for half the price at the time which was about 400DM(Deutsch Marks) for us.

But being 10 years old, they're starting to get a lil work out. The pads that cover the drivers are gone (the foam, now there's only the paper part left), and one of the clips that adjusts the size of the band has also dispeared.
Of course thats all aesthetics, but I've also started noticing a lil static in certain types of music, and that's what worries me the most.

Now I was planning on getting a new set of headphones for my dad, kind of like a birthday present, and I guess it's a little early to buy now (need it for July), but I wanted to start trying out some types of headphones, and start actually looking at what price range I should be falling into.
I guess budget would be about 500$ canadian, but possibly a lil more or less.

I know my dad really enjoys these headphones, so I would be looking for something that's comfortable and has a similar sound as these DT-911s.
He's a musician, has been playing music all his life, and works in the music industry now, though affording something like a pair of R10s is well... out of the questions. I dont have the funds for it, and my dad would kill me if I were to spend so much on a pair of headphones. However, it's important that the headphones are clear, and definitive, in the sense that they dont blur or mute certain ranges of frequencies.

hm... You'll have to excuse my uh...lack of headphone vocab, like i stated above, i'm a n00b.

So I guess to summarize my question;
What would be a pair of headphones that would compare to the DT-911s in sound quality, that you guys would recommend? and again, budget is about $500 +/- canadian.

Thanks in advance

Nov 7, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by romesaz
However, it's important that the headphones are clear, and definitive, in the sense that they dont blur or mute certain ranges of frequencies.

beyerdynamic dt880 and sennheiser hd650 should be two of your top-candidates then, romesaz...

Nov 7, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 10
If he likes the feeling of being onstage and practically being the musician,
the grado sr-225/325/MS2 models may not be that bad of an idea . . .

Nov 7, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by romesaz
I know my dad really enjoys these headphones, so I would be looking for something that's comfortable and has a similar sound as these DT-911s.

Another recommendation for the DT880s. If you want a similar sound, stick with the Beyer family, as they all have similar characteristics. However, I doubt the HD650 would be a bad choice either, it just would be more dissimilar than your old 'phones.

Couple of things: be reserved about Grados, their sound can be harsh for some, and forward-presentation is an acquired taste. Their lack of soundstage is great for rock, poor for orchestral/electronic music. On the other hand, the DT880 is too polite for rock (not all subgenres, but quite a few), so if your father listens to that type of music you might want to be a bit reserved about buying those as well.

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the DT911 as well and I really like them. I think I got them in '93 or '94. They have a very nice balanced sound. I agree with most here that the DT880 would be a fine replacement for them. I don't own the 880s but have heard them briefly. They have pretty similar sound but the 880 is slightly weaker in the bass. The 880s have a much better soundstage though and I think it is a better headphone overall.

Michael

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the replies guys, and any more are still appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm gonna check out the 880s if i can find them somewhere around here. According to Beyer's website, there's one distributor in Canada, whiteradio.com or something like that, and I'm not even sure if they have a place where you can actually come in an listen, plus its at least an hours drive from here.
I was actually considering getting something from the beyer family, as ReDVsion so eloquently phrased, but just havent really gotten around to finding a place to listen.
He doesnt listen too much to rock, but he does listen to a wide variety of music. Plus he's got a Kurzweil PC88mx that he plugs'em into always, whenever he's practicing in his office.
Doesnt need to be bass heavy. A lil less than the 911s or on par should be fine.

Again, thanks for the advice, and feel free to keep uh...advising
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic
They have pretty similar sound but the 880 is slightly weaker in the bass.

But amp them well and the DT880 is just fine in the low-end. It'll never be a basshead can, of course, but it does have a nice punch to it.

A little clarification on the DT880s and rock: Classic Rock and Progressive Metal are typically just fine with these cans. It's the particularly agressive, gritty stuff that they can't pull off. Throw on some Led Zeppelin, Tool, or Red Hot Chili Peppers and you'll be fine.

Nov 7, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Actually that brings another question. I've used the 911s unamped before, and havent found really the sound quality to be lacking.
How do the 911s compare to the 880s in uh...need for power? sound quality if unamped? and such?

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I just havent really found much on the forum about the 911s.

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Not sure about the 911, but the 880 is a very power-hungry beast. It sounds cruddy unamped from a low-Q source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back