Looking for recommendations for my first headphones.
Oct 27, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 27

If you think that Sony is neutral, then you need to hear the STAX I linked, which follows the diffuse-field curve more closely than nearly any other headphone.

Also, no STAX Lambda headphone is neutral. I should know, I owned three of them (303, Lambda, Lambda Pro).

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 27
  Also, no STAX Lambda headphone is neutral. I should know, I owned three of them (303, Lambda, Lambda Pro).

I haven't heard those. But the SR-207 is the most accurate headphone I have ever heard, and it measures more neutral than nearly any other, as I have shown via my link...while the MDR-7506 is one of the least accurate headphones I have heard, and sounds nothing like how the instruments are actually supposed to sound. I guess extreme brightness sounds neutral to you...

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 27

I haven't heard those. But the SR-207 is the most accurate headphone I have ever heard, and it measures more neutral than nearly any other, as I have shown via my link

Your link is completely unhelpful. What is the source? Who knows where this came from and how it was made.

Not to mention the abysmal visual fidelity - I can barely even tell what I am looking at. Was this made in Microsoft Paint? The axes aren't even labeled.

...while the MDR-7506 is one of the least accurate headphones I have heard, and sounds nothing like how the instruments are actually supposed to sound. I guess extreme brightness sounds neutral to you...

You might hear it as being overly bright, but the vast majority of people who use it do not. It's been a professional gold standard for decades. It has thousands upon thousands of glowing reviews. And with an E17K, it doesn't even matter if the OP finds it too bright out of the box - they can change the frequency response at will.

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 27
  Your link is completely unhelpful. What is the source? Who knows where this came from and how it was made.

Not to mention the abysmal visual fidelity - the axes aren't even labeled. I can barely even tell what I am looking at.

My point being, you might hear it as being overly bright, but the vast majority of people who use it do not. It's been a professional gold standard for decades. It has thousands upon thousands of glowing reviews. And with an E17K, it doesn't even matter if the OP finds it too bright out of the box - they can change the frequency response at will.

Original source:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207EP507LeatherPadsSerNumSB22217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf

Unfortunately, Tyll at InnerFidelity did not measure the 7506, but he did measure the V6, which is similar, but warmer and not as bright. (I owned both.)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

I think more people think it's bright than those who do not. I've talked to a lot of audiophiles and done tons of research. The fact that it is a popular studio headphone is meaningless, because all sorts of bright, warm, dark, etc. headphones are used in studios. That has more to do with marketing (and various uses for headphones in studios) than anything.

https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=%22mdr-7506%22+%22bright%22

Over 161,000 results relating to its brightness, and that's just using one set of keywords.

I'm genuinely confused how you don't hear the nasty treble peaks. I mean, it's wayyy brighter than STAX. It literally sounds like someone took an equalizer and increased some of the treble frequencies to levels that cause pain. It's always possible that mine was defective or counterfeit, but it doesn't seem likely.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 27

Original source:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207EP507LeatherPadsSerNumSB22217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf

This is far, far better than the initial image you linked me.

Unfortunately, Tyll at InnerFidelity did not measure the 7506, but he did measure the V6, which is similar, but warmer and not as bright. (I owned both.)  
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

As you can see, STAX Lambda earspeakers are pretty mid-centric headphones.

https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=%22mdr-7506%22+%22bright%22  
Over 161,000 results relating to its brightness, and that's just using one set of keywords.

Meanwhile:

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=%227506%22+%22balanced%22

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=%22mdr-7506%22+%22balanced%22

Ignoring the fact that more results show up as balanced, this is a totally meaningless, context-lacking way to show a point.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 27
  This is far, far better than the initial image you linked me.

As you can see, STAX Lambda earspeakers are pretty mid-centric headphones.

The first image (link again) superimposes compensation curves over the InnerFidelity measurements to illustrate how closely the headphone follows them. It is not mid-centric at all. Just look how closely it follows the green line at all frequencies. Both the diffuse field and Harman curves are roughly the same in the mids, and the SR-207 follows them very closely. I use the diffuse field curve (green line) as my neutral reference for a number of reasons, two being that nearly all planar magnetic headphones (regarded as having the most neutral bass) follow it in the bass and that ultra-high-end headphones in general follow it more closely than other curves. But the most important reason is that it (judging from how close the 207 is to it) is the only curve that sounds remotely close to how instruments sound in real life, at least to my ears.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 27
  Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first quality headphones. My budget is around ~200$ and I will be using them at my PC at home. I prefer over-ear headphones and I listen mostly to hip hop, electronic and rock. I tried a pair of ATH-M50X's and I liked the way they sounded but it's the only "quality" headphones I've tried so I don't really have anything to compare them against. I've seen their sound described as "fun", and I would like to get something similar. I'm not looking for a neutral/analytical type of headphone but more like a accurate with some bass type of headphone. I should also mention that I would prefer if I didn't have to buy an amp.

Hope you can help me finding something that ticks these boxes, thanks in advance!

The issue with closed circumaural(around the ears) headphones such as the ATH-M50X, or SonyV6/7506 is that they tend to make ears uncomfortably hot after a while. Some people can't use these indoors for more than around 15 or 20 minutes without getting overheating ears. They are good to use outdoors in cold weather though to keep your ears warm. Closed circumaural headphones tend to give much stronger bass impact than open ones, however the closed ones typically are poor as far as soundstage. Open headphones though provide no isolation.

Due to overheating ears from closed circumaural headphones many including myself have switched to IEMs(in the ear canal isolated earphones) when we want isolation. IEMs also have the added advantage that they can be put into a jacket pocket with a player when you are finished listening to music.

Someone mentioned the Koss KTX Pro1. It is an inexpensive open headphone with good sound for the price, however it is very small and won't comfortably fit many adults. It seems like it probably uses the same drivers as the Koss KSC75 headphones with ear hooks.

As far as the Sony V6/7506 is concerned, it will work with many low powered sources, however for it to be at its best, it seems to need a more powerful source such as an external headphone amp.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #23 of 27
Someone mentioned the Koss KTX Pro1. It is an inexpensive open headphone with good sound for the price, however it is very small and won't comfortably fit many adults. It seems like it probably uses the same drivers as the Koss KSC75 headphones with ear hooks.

I must have a tiny head. Height-wise, it's a little too large for me even on the tightest setting. Horizontally, I can imagine it being too tight for those with larger heads. Since it's on-ear, it doesn't have the same type of comfort as some of the better circumaural headphones, but it ended up being more comfortable for me overall than many circumaural headphones. I guess that depends on the size and shape of your ears. And yes, as far as I can tell, it has the same titanium-coated drivers as the KSC75. Also, both are semi-open, with the KTXPRO1 having a different enclosure that gives it a more powerful sound, but less sparkly treble and soundstage.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 27

I must have a tiny head. Height-wise, it's a little too large for me even on the tightest setting. Horizontally, I can imagine it being too tight for those with larger heads. Since it's on-ear, it doesn't have the same type of comfort as some of the better circumaural headphones, but it ended up being more comfortable for me overall than many circumaural headphones. I guess that depends on the size and shape of your ears. And yes, as far as I can tell, it has the same titanium-coated drivers as the KSC75. Also, both are semi-open, with the KTXPRO1 having a different enclosure that gives it a more powerful sound, but less sparkly treble and soundstage.

The sound difference between the KSC75 and the KTXpro1 is likely due to the pressure of the KTXpro1 headband pressing it against your ear, and not a difference in the enclosures.. If you can find a headband that fits the KSC75 you will hear how close it then sounds to the KTXpro1.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 27
  The sound difference between the KSC75 and the KTXpro1 is likely due to the pressure of the KTXpro1 headband pressing it against your ear, and not a difference in the enclosures.. If you can find a headband that fits the KSC75 you will hear how close it then sounds to the KTXpro1.

Not in my experience. I pushed the KSC close to my ears and it barely sounded different; actually slightly worse. I think it's definitely the enclosure. The KTX has a more powerful sound with more impact and dynamics. However, I got a refurbished KSC and new KTX. It's possible that a new KSC could sound better than the one I had.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 27

Not in my experience. I pushed the KSC close to my ears and it barely sounded different; actually slightly worse. I think it's definitely the enclosure. The KTX has a more powerful sound with more impact and dynamics. However, I got a refurbished KSC and new KTX. It's possible that a new KSC could sound better than the one I had.

The use of different earpads on them may also a factor.

Oct 27, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 27
First of all thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

For now I'm looking at the DT 770 80 ohms and a Asus Xonar DG soundcard to go with it. It seems availability when it comes to headphone amps is pretty poor in Denmark, many people on here seem to be using FiiO amps but they're nowhere to be seen in danish webshops. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back