Looking for recommendations! Also, come say hi!
Jan 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Calyso

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations as my last purchase wasn't what I really wanted. 

I have two pair of headphones, one that I love, and one that I purchased because I thought I'd love it. 

I love my Sennheiser HD555's. No mods, no fuss, just pure love. I love the weight (lack there of), I love the open design, and they're super comfortable. They also deliver great sound. 

I have mixed feelings towards my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohms. I have a Fiio E7/E9 combo off of a Creative XFi Titanium driving them, so I'm pretty certain it's not the drive behind them that's the issue. Here's what I like: The sound quality (10 hours of white noise to break in + 15 hours of listening total) is remarkable in comparison to the Senns (Which aren't bad), the comfort is almost as good as the Senns. The bad: I don't like the closed cup design as it makes me way too warm. The set fits really well, I'm just too hot headed I guess. I also don't like the resistance, as my lifestyle has changed and I prefer to wander around the house and take cans to works now with the E7. So it's a love/hate relationship.

What I'm looking for: Ideally to trade the 770's for a proper set like my Senns. So ultimately, I'm looking for the next step up for the HD555's that won't break the bank (again, keeping near the trading range of the 770's). This puts the budget around $150-200. 

What set of cans should I be looking at with the provided information? 

With that said, I'm Mike, if you're just stopping in to say hi, Hello!

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 11
  Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations as my last purchase wasn't what I really wanted. 

I have two pair of headphones, one that I love, and one that I purchased because I thought I'd love it. 

I love my Sennheiser HD555's. No mods, no fuss, just pure love. I love the weight (lack there of), I love the open design, and they're super comfortable. They also deliver great sound. 

I have mixed feelings towards my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohms. I have a Fiio E7/E9 combo off of a Creative XFi Titanium driving them, so I'm pretty certain it's not the drive behind them that's the issue. Here's what I like: The sound quality (10 hours of white noise to break in + 15 hours of listening total) is remarkable in comparison to the Senns (Which aren't bad), the comfort is almost as good as the Senns. The bad: I don't like the closed cup design as it makes me way too warm. The set fits really well, I'm just too hot headed I guess. I also don't like the resistance, as my lifestyle has changed and I prefer to wander around the house and take cans to works now with the E7. So it's a love/hate relationship.

What I'm looking for: Ideally to trade the 770's for a proper set like my Senns. So ultimately, I'm looking for the next step up for the HD555's that won't break the bank (again, keeping near the trading range of the 770's). This puts the budget around $150-200. 

What set of cans should I be looking at with the provided information? 

With that said, I'm Mike, if you're just stopping in to say hi, Hello!

Are you looking for open or closed? 

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 11
HE 400S comfy and can be run out of anything.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 11
So far, I only have the HE400i and HD598 to compare - for music, the HE400i is always my go to. Maybe not if you are mostly into classical, jazz, and the like - but for various types of metal, rap, rock and electronic - I'm wowed.
Then begs the HE400i vs HE400s comparison, which I went through but we may have different needs. :p

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I've ended up going with a set of Senn HD598SE's. Now I have to sell the old cans. :wink:

Thank you all. I'll have to look at the HE 400S' in the future though. Everything sounds great in regards to them. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 11
To summarize quickly, they're everything I love about my HD555's, but with improved quality and kick. I have a head cold right now, so I'm excited to clear that up to be able to hear like normal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back