Looking for recommendation on full size cans
Apr 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry for my wallet already and this is like my 4th post =)

I have shure e530pth currently and want to upgrade with a full size can for non traveling/mobile use.

I have FLAC -> EMU 0404 USB DAC currently.

I will buy an amp if necessary.

I listen to rock, metal, symphony, some vocals, little jazz, some modern blues, no top 40.

I like my e530's a lot and have the 2 tip flange mod right now (thanks voltage) and have ordered a few other tips to try out.

My budget is $500 or so, a little more if I can seriously be done in one shot.

I am ok with used or new.

I do not know the answer to open or closed - I think my answer is whatever sounds better. I will listen to them at home and work mostly.

One thing that I don't like about IEMs is I cant hear around me - I usually listen in a dedicated theater room or my study so there is little noise...but I need to hear my kids/wife have an emergency and I think my house could get robbed with the e530s in and I wouldn't know.

Thanks much.

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 12
I recently upgraded from my se530's to a set of AKG k702's..partly to cover those bases not covered by the Shure's(those being, well defined highs, better soundstage, etc.)

I realized though that they really are more of a different beast than I had given them credit for before. If you like the se530 sound signature though, maybe look into some Senn 600/50's? I've heard from others that they are (sort of?) comparable to the sound of the 530's and sound sick when paired with a Little Dot or a Darkvoice.. Not from experience though, so PLEASE get another opinion.

Also, closed back phones are going to give you alot more isolation, something that you're thinking about having less of? Just food for thought..

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 12
thanks much ^^^ any more ideas? I was thinking maybe the denon 5000s?

A closed back would have more isolation than an IEM? mmmm thats going to impressive to witness - I have had people walk into my office and yell at my face and I didnt hear a thing...

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 12
If you're willing to spend $500 and you have a wide variety of musical tastes, I'd recommend skipping the D5000 and go for the jugular and get a pair of D7000's. They are not readily available for purchase right now, but you can place a standing order with a few retailers and get a pair for about $650, and receive them when they come in to the retailer from Denon.

Keep in mind I'm not recommending these from personal experience but I read a LOT of Head-Fi posts and almost everyone who buys these are very happy with them and most say that they are a significant improvement over the D5000.

Another fantastic "all-around" headphone are the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. But keep in mind that they are more amp-dependent than the Denons to sound their best. A lot of folks love the HD600 but I just can't bring myself to get over that crazy faux-marble graphic scheme. It's like acid-washed jeans from 1987 or something.
wink_face.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A closed back would have more isolation than an IEM? mmmm thats going to impressive to witness - I have had people walk into my office and yell at my face and I didnt hear a thing...

Sorry, I didn't specify that. An isolating IEM is probably going to have more isolation than a closed back. I meant that a closed back is going to have more, obviously, than an open back.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 12
If you're willing to spend $500 I'd go straight to the Audio Technica AD2000s. They are wonderful and will perform great with your choice of music.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 12
I think I am going to try to local audition a shop that has a ton of higher end stuff at it...if not ill check my wallet and pick up something mentioned here.

Are any of the above easier to drive on an ipod? I do have a small headphone amp, but for non office use I dont want to drag a big rig with me although I am open to additional upgrades in a portable amp.

Another dumb question...I am a pretty serious HT buff and I have 3 serious amps in my attic from the last 10 years - why cant I just drag downstairs some 100lb old school denon and hook up to that?

just curious why all the custom deskside amps why they arent doing any processing really...

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Another dumb question...I am a pretty serious HT buff and I have 3 serious amps in my attic from the last 10 years - why cant I just drag downstairs some 100lb old school denon and hook up to that?

just curious why all the custom deskside amps why they arent doing any processing really...

There's a good chance a vintage power amp will do nicely with demanding headphones if they have a separate power supply for the headphone amping section. I have an old Sansui that does quite well with high impedance phones. Only thing is that there's a fair amount of surface noise that a dedicated headphone amp won't have. There are plenty of people out here who are satisfied by the headphone jack of their power amp, so give it a try and see if you are. It really depends on the amp. In general, you stand a better chance with vintage amps.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 12
how much difference is there in says a 325i vs a rs-1 just curious as its triple the price best I can tell.

M wife is gonna pass out when she sees my desk tonight...I also took delivery of a new fixed frame 120" screen last night...my karma is burning.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

how much difference is there in says a 325i vs a rs-1 just curious as its triple the price best I can tell.

I own the RS1 and I've heard my friend's SR325i. The two cans are more of a different flavour of Grado rather than an upgrade IMO. The 325i is more aggressive, brighter and bassier. I thought my RS1 was bright 'til I heard the 325i. If metal/rock is your thing through and through I would go with the 325i, however if you do listen to other genres the RS1 would be the better bet. They're a better all rounder, and no slouch for metal/rock either.
wink.gif

If you like your SE530, I suggest you take a look at the D7000 like what cswann1 mentioned. I've heard the D2000/5000/7000 and there is a significant difference between the three models. The D7000 is quite an extraordinary headphone, and incredibly comfortable to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back