Looking for Rai recommendations
Sep 11, 2007 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BradJudy

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone here into Rai music? The only album I have at the moment is Cheb Mami's "Meli Meli", which I enjoy a lot. Khaled is the obvious other artist to check out, but he (and Mami) has a lot of albums and there seem to be splits between reviews of people preferring older versus newer work.

Any recommendations? I was also considering picking up Rough Guides Rai CD just to sample some artists.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm not exactly into Rai music, but a few albums that I've enjoyed a lot

Among Brothers
by Abdelli -- A cross-cultural fusion project, with Abdelli from Algeria and musicians from Azerbaijan, Europe, and South America. Rich and rewarding.

Mraya (Mirror) by Abdel Ali Slimani -- A beautiful electronic Rai album featuring the guest vocal of Sinead O'Connor.

For Khaled, start with the incredibly classy album Ya-Rayi which I've reviewed in the World Music thread.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Meli Meli's a great album, a fine place to start, and the Rough Guide's okay, too. But the question to ask with raï is, "how raw do you wanna get?" As far as the best blends of North African and Western musics, Mami is about as cohesive and light as I'd wanna go before the genre devolves into disco music with exotic voices on top of it. Ditto for Faudel (whom they used to call the "little prince of räi"); his Baïda is a better album than Meli Meli.

Of course, Khaled is the king, but unless you go for his thing hook, line and sinker, you only need the infinitely listenable and funky N'ssi N'ssi, his (and the genre's) internationally-acknowledged breakthrough and masterpiece. If you find you dig that more than Mami (I certainly do) and wanna dig deeper, get Kutché, the collaboration with the inventive composer/arranger Safy Boutella.

Two compilations:
Arabesque Tlata 3 - a mix of old and new with Khaled, Rachid Taha, a breezy DJ collaboration between Mami and Nitin Sawhney, and modern classics from Sahraoui & Fadela as well as Cheikha Rimitti, the woman who helped invent the genre decades ago.

Oujda-Casablanca Introspections, Vol. 1 - A personal fave; also old and new stuff, Moroccans more than Algerians. Really the most hardcore fusion of the style I've heard and the best nonstop party.

Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back