Looking for Portable Headphone Device.
Feb 17, 2006 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Inc

New Head-Fier
Hey. Ive been scanning over this site looking for a new set of headphones and i can say that there are some really informed, helpfull people. But I have been unable to have my exact needs answered, so i will ask them here.

Currently I own 2 pairs of headphones. The cheap phones that come with the ipod, and a pair of 15$ sony wrap-arounds. So its time to get serious about some good cans.

I'm looking for a set of headphones that lend themselves to most of the following if possible

- Over the ears closed headphones.
- High Comfort level
- Portability (I will use these with my ipod on the go and at home)
- Preferably between 20 and 80 bucks
- Something that wont look too ridiculous in public (no giant square studio phones)
- I also Edit video(Avid) and Audio(Pro Tools) and would like to use these for that.

I have tried, and Loved to Bose Triports, and the sound quallity is fine for me on those. The issue is that they would be 150 bucks and it sounds like they will break upon opening. is there a very similar version of those that offer the same comfort at a lower price?

Ive reviewed headphones like the Senn. HD-212's, the Senn. HD-515, The AKG K-26P, And a few more and i continue to get mixed reviews.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 13
I would recomend Grado SR60's I find them really comfy and they sound awesome for the price. I'm guessing things like PX200's HD497's HD485's will be pretty popular recomendations too. Oh and honestly you can do way better than triports for comfort and sq for much much less.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the recomendations I hear good things about the Grado's, but they look like they were made in 1912. lol. But are the closed over the ear? I think they are open from the pictures.

The MDRV6 sound good, but they look and feel like studio phones, and not so much portable phones. but they arent off my list. niether are the Grados if they are closed over the ear.

The Senn. HD497 are open headphones. I dont really see much future for myself and the HD497. But the HD-212 Seem very similar, as do the HD-202. and they are closed.

The Senn. HD485 look Bulky and hit that 80 mark dead on. But those are still in the running.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inc
Thanks for the recomendations I hear good things about the Grado's, but they look like they were made in 1912. lol. But are the closed over the ear? I think they are open from the pictures.

The MDRV6 sound good, but they look and feel like studio phones, and not so much portable phones. but they arent off my list. niether are the Grados if they are closed over the ear.

The Senn. HD497 are open headphones. I dont really see much future for myself and the HD497. But the HD-212 Seem very similar, as do the HD-202. and they are closed.

The Senn. HD485 look Bulky and hit that 80 mark dead on. But those are still in the running.

The hd485s are also open so you might take them off the list completely.

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inc

The HD212 are most certainly not similar. They're tiny little head subwoofers. All lower range, not too much else...

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 13
I've got a pair of AKG K81DJ on the way from Headroom. They're supposed to be a step up from the K26p. I'll try to let you know what I think when I get them. (Probably Monday or Tuesday) I plan on using them for travelling with my ipod shuffle unless they suck in which case I'll return them. I love Headroom's return policy.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inc
Im looking for Closed over the ear. Maybe I Typo'd somewhere?

No, that happens a lot here. Whenever someone starts a "recommend me a headphone" thread, there's guaranteed to be at least a few people who will come up with the most ridiculous recommendations (as in your case, sometimes it seems like the opposite of what you asked for). Don't worry, this is normal. They are just headphone automatons. They love a certain headphone so much that they will blindly recommend it to anyone, without even bothering to read your requirements.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Looking at Headroom's line-up of closed or noise-cancelling cans, unless you up your budget, there doesn't seem to be too many that fit your criteria. And that could be considered a good thing as you don't have to research too many headphones.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Quite tricky. The top-sounding closed phones in that range either zero-isolate or make you look like a total nerd. Many of the decently isolating, non-stupid looking ones don't sound too hot.

One of the exceptions to that I know of would be the previously recommended V6. They aren't the most comfy I've ever come across but they offer a good ability although with a significant degree of upper midrange stridency in the sound. They also wad up into a large ball for portability, are durable and don't look too stupid. The new K81DJ may be worth a bet, and so would the Sennheiser HD25SP.. a phone unfortunately which I don't have much experience of, but did sound like an acceptable, better value-for-money alternative to my favourite all-purpose phone, the "real" HD25 on the occasions that I have listened to various sets. Neither the HD25Sp or the V6 are exactly luxury in terms of comfort, but I'd say they are bearable.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 13
I own a pair of HD25SP's, and though they don't sound as good as the "real" HD25, they are good performers for the price, isolate well, and are pretty comfy. They're not 'over the ears', more 'on the ears', but the earpads themselves are very soft and comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back