Looking for open headphones that compliment DT 770's
Aug 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

enmity

New Head-Fier
I love my DT770 Pro 80ohm headphones, but during long sessions, they tend to... give me headaches, I feel like my ears are being punctured (little extreme) and need air. I am going to college and do not want to bring my ginormous HS80m studio monitors with me, as they would be cumbersome on a small desk and I don't want anyone to damage/steal them, so I need something that allows my ears to breathe. I don't want anything to replace my DT770's, but I do want something to compliment (or contrast?) them.

I have an E-MU 1616m. The headphones I am considering right now are SR225i and K701. My budget is <$200. What do you guys suggest?

Also, I am thinking of buying a used pair, is this a good/bad idea?

Thanks!

edit: If it helps, my music taste to goes from house -> hip hop and back usually. I've also been listening to some classical but that probably won't last.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 16
Neither the Grados nor the AKGs really shine with those genres--they just don't have enough oomph in the bottom end.

Some Sennheisers might offer a slightly better contrast, as they'll give you some warmth without sacrificing the majority of your bottom end.

Alternately, you could check out the Ultrasone HFI-2200/2400.  

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 16
AKG K1000.

Haha just kidding. But in all seriousness, maybe give HD650 a go? I don't listen to either of those genre's, so can't really help, but HD650 are said to have quite a bit of bass, so you could always give them a shot if you have not already. Think that worries me is that they tend to need a great amp to drive them properley. Ultrasone's would be great, but I don't see why you would go for the open alternative. They are barely open (from pictures I have seen...). Denon D2000/D5000 are loose fitting, closed, comfortable, sound great, look great (well, D5000 at least). They may be closed, but I have used D5000 before, and I was fine with them. ALO-780 I used to own I felt a bit claustrophobic. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 16
haha, I knew it would be just a matter of time before you commented 
biggrin.gif
 I would have recommended them myself, but the OP uses DT770 Pro 80ohm and listens to house and hip hop. DT770 pro 80ohm have a lot of bass and for those two genres, I assume the OP does love his bass. Never know tho, he might want something COMPLETELY different than DT770. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 16
Don't get why people recommend bass heavy phones for bass heavy music... unneccesary. 

My go-to electronic music can is the K702 - in fact the way electronica in particular works on those phones justifies their price tag alone if you are into it.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Don't get why people recommend bass heavy phones for bass heavy music... unneccesary. 

My go-to electronic music can is the K702 - in fact the way electronica in particular works on those phones justifies their price tag alone if you are into it.

I actually kind of agree.. Just because music is bass heavy doesn't mean it needs a  phone with emphasized bass to sound good. A balanced sounding can will still sound good if not better.  I use the AD700 for bass heavy music all the time and I enjoy them just fine (though if impact is what your looking for then they aren't necessarily ideal, but the bass quantity is enough).  Bass heavy phones are actually fatiguing to me anyway.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 16
I don't know about anyone else, but the words "air", "breathe", and "contrast" made me think of the AD700s immediately. Cheap, too - and a good companion to the DT770.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm not going to be able to try to make music while away at college, so I'm not looking for anything to mix with.

HD650 - look like they're a bit too expensive for me :frowning2:. I should be able to find the HD600's within my price range on the FS forum, though. I really don't the HD600's aesthetics, but I shouldn't let that affect my buying decision too much.

HFI-2200/2400 - Looks like they're within my price range if I buy them on the FS forum, but there haven't been many threads selling these. Don't see many reviews of these phones either, and they don't seem very open or airy. Although I'm really liking their looks.

K702 - Looks like they're at the top of my price range. Although, if they mimic the sound of my HS80m's, I might have to get them. On the other hand, maybe I don't want something that sounds too similar to my HS80m's... decisions.

AD700 - For less than $90 these are hard to resist, but I think I'd rather spend ~$100 more and get a better pair of headphones, unless the difference is minimal.

In case my OP wasn't clear, I don't want anything that sounds too much like my DT770's. Right now I'm really looking at the K702's and HD600's, in favor of the K702's. I feel like the K702's sound would contrast the DT770's nicely. Any opinions on the SR225i?

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 16
My primary cans are Grados, and I use my 770s for a change of pace.  I think of the Beyers as my "anti-Grados" and vice versa. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 16
I used to only have DT770 just like OP, before deciding to buy K 701. I must say I'm very satisfied with them. Just like OP I felt like the DT770's were fatiguing with boosted treble and bass. K 701 gives me a really airy and open presentation which I really enjoy. I still prefer DT770 for games and most movies because of greater bass impact in the higher bass frequency, but I find myself reaching for K 701 for just about every music genre now :) I also genuinely feel like the K 701's bass goes deeper in terms of frequency than DT770, although DT770 serves a greater impact in higher bass frequencies.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Wow, thanks Lars, the way you describe the K701's makes them sound EXACTLY like what I'm looking for. I'm sold on the K701/2's... now to find someone to buy them from.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Keep in mind the K701/702 traditionally does not sound great without an amp. Do you have one?

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 16
tbh, anything will compliment a DT770/Pro80...this is really not an audiophile grade phone. It's meant to be used as a work tool in recording studios and by bass players, nothing more.

the d2k has grossly recessed mids...actually you didn't specify if you wanted an open or closed phone and how you like your bass? bloated and overblown like on the 770Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back