Looking for Open Back recommendations…
Aug 9, 2023 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SpaceInvader77

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all! I’m generally an IEM person and feel like I know what I like and what I don’t like in IEMs. However, I never really felt like I’ve owned a good open back that I genuinely enjoyed to the extent of wanting to keep it around for a while.

I own the DCA Aeon 2 Noir, and it has been my favorite headphones to date. Shortly after DCA Expanse was released I bought them blind (CanJam in my area hadn’t been announced at that time and I have no stores to audition). I couldn’t help but feel like the Expanse wasn’t as open as I was hoping it would be.

Fast forward to now, I am looking for a pair of open backs that are better suited to me. I attended CanJam this year and was most impressed by brighter headphones. Hifiman Ananda impressed me more than I thought they would, I really wanted to try out the Arya but was unable. The Corina impressed me, although due to an unfortunate situation at the DCA booth, had little time with them.

Electrostatic headphones intrigue me but am not limiting my search to that. Budget is flexible, lower is better but I can go as high as $4000. Genres being listened to are mainly Rock, Folk and Jazz.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Budget?

Aug 10, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 5
I updated the original post. I didn’t realize when I posted last night that I had published an unfinished draft. Must have been late… 🙄

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 5
I just had the Hifiman Arya Stealth and liked it more than the Audivina and Heddphone. The Stealth fixes the upper mid brightness and didn't need to equalize it out of the box. The Ananda Stealth is improved on imaging over the original, and the ski style headband is so much more comfortable than any models with the bar kind that causes pressure points.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Sorry to be mid-fi but I am very satisfied with the ATH-R70X, $350 at most places and a little less at Thomann.

SO DAMN LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE. This makes a difference -- I will never again put on a headphone that turns into a headache or neck ache.

Accurate neutral sound, with wide enough frequency response so you can pump up the bass/mids/treble wherever you want with EQ. The timbre sounds so natural.

OK, yes, the proprietary cable is clever but annoying, and it's 3m/9 feet long -- I coil it with a tie. But after a year of regular use, the pads show zero wear. There is some materials science behind these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back