Looking for new earbuds
Oct 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ltx

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've had my Skullcandy Smokin' Buds for about 1.5-2 years. They sound amazing to me and I have no problems with them, but my friend and his friend both say SC sucks, so I am willing to try something better than these. Any opinions?

I may be in the market for a new set of earbuds. Criteria:

- In-ear, preferably
- Noise isolating
- Under $150CDN
- Better than my current ones

The only earbuds I have experience with are iPod Touch stock earbuds (somewhat decent), Sony Discman earbuds (10 years old and lost now, also crap), and these Smokin' Buds (awesome from my perspective, but I'd love to have better).

Anything you can recommend, I will consider.

Thanks!
Josh

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 11
Better than sc. Jvc fx66 25.00 on line. better PL-30 20.00 on line.

jvc fx66-www.amazon.com

Pl-30-www.focalprice.com

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 11
It's really, really damn hard to beat Etymotic Research ER-6i (using Shure olives to alleviate the lack of bass problem) for price, portability and isolation.

Pretty much every other earphone in the under-100 price range is going to be a shallow-fitting variety and will likely not isolate well.

I've heard that the Head-Direct RE2 isolate well now that they're equipped with the enormous RE1 bi-flange tips.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etymotic isolation (with foam tips) is top notch.

Totally agree; the ER6 or ER4 with stock ER4 grey foams equals dead silence. The Shure black foams don't isolate quite as well, but they're washable, last a LOT longer and help the somewhat anemic bass response of both Etymotic varieties.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 11
With the "Jabada mod" and Ultimate Ears bi-flanges, you'll be able to get Etymotic-like isolation from any of the large nozzle canalphones such as the Super fi's, Denons, Sennheisers and so forth.

The "Jabada mod" is a very simple mod with minimal, common items and heat shrink. Check it out and use it for any canalphone which needs better sealing and isolation.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 11
I looked at that but I'm wondering, the UE universals already hang way the hell out of your ears, what would adding a longer stem do to them?

They already look like clothespins stuck in your ear!

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at that but I'm wondering, the UE universals already hang way the hell out of your ears, what would adding a longer stem do to them?

They already look like clothespins stuck in your ear!

ROFL!

Hehe...for those of us who need them to go deeper, this is an outstanding solution. By the way, I think they make a person resemble Spock.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really, really damn hard to beat Etymotic Research ER-6i (using Shure olives to alleviate the lack of bass problem) for price, portability and isolation.

Pretty much every other earphone in the under-100 price range is going to be a shallow-fitting variety and will likely not isolate well.

I've heard that the Head-Direct RE2 isolate well now that they're equipped with the enormous RE1 bi-flange tips.

The RE-2s are indeed supplied with the large bi-flanges and, providing these are comfy for you, they isolate very well with them. I prefer the small bi-flanges, but that's just the shape of my ear canals...

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 11
RE2's, PL30's, Etys et al, are well within your budget. But $10 more will get you RE1's or the new SF5's, which will put you in another league altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back