Looking for my next pair of IEMs
Feb 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Circuitbender

100+ Head-Fier
So, I currently own a pair of soundMagic PL50s, but the grilles covering the drivers actually came out (the glue started to loosen), so I'm either looking for replacement tips that will take care of that problem for me, or a new pair of IEMs. I want to stay under $200. A sound signature similar to the PL50s would be fine, or perhaps something with a touch more extensive bass and less shrill highs. I was considering getting a pair of Hippo VBs but I'm not really a huge bass-head, I'm just looking for something a bit more neutral. I love the sound of the HD555s/595s so that should give you an idea. Comfort is the absolute biggest concern though, and I would get custom-molds in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive. I found the PL50s decently comfortable but like all the other universal IEMs I've tried, they would fatigue my ears within 30 minutes to an hour of insertion. I'm attributing that to the crappy foam tips that were included with the cans, but they were the only tips that gave me a proper seal and at the time I wasn't willing to buy "aftermarket" tips.

tl;dr: want a neutral-sounding pair of IEMs for <= $200. Comfort is paramount. If customs exist for that price, I'd like to know.

Any suggestions?

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 9
You can get custom mold for Etymotic IEMs at 100USD (excluding shipping, tax etc.), but etys are known for their bright, and not bassy sound. Otherwise the Shure SE535 is a good choice but it's out oof your budget. The Klipsch Image X10 would be my top recommendation, plenty of tight bass, clear highs, but lacks some mid for me, and comfortable.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 9
I was thinking of getting the ATH-CK10s, then again, I'm currently reading SS3's JH5 review, and if I have the cash by the time I need these, I will probably wind up with those. I've always wanted customs...

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 9
if you pick universals - I would strongly recommend CK10.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 9
You could buy some of the comply tx series of foam buds for your pl50s as they have built in grilles.
I however do recommend the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 RRP $190 but can be found for less such as now on play.com they can be found for £39.99 but i am unsure if they post to the US, they are a discontinued model but some reviewers say that they sound better than the more expensive UE 700 and i agree, they also recieved a 5* review at What HiFi magazine.

Hope that helps 
dt880smile.png

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 9

Not sure if you're familiar with the Sennheiser IE7/IE8's but that may be a good choice for you. Very nice bass on them, and nice mids and highs. The IE8's have thicker bass and the highs are more sparkly. The IE7's emphasis the mids more. Overall I am very pleased with both of them. I just got my IE7's in today and am listening to them as I type. Just remember they both take extensive burn in to sound their best. I'd say 220+ hours before you make judgments on them. You can get a refurbished pair of IE7's for $94.00 from amazon sold by Adgtron (an authorized Sennheiser Dealer BTW). He will have refurbished IE8's for sale shortly (around $180.00). The sound signature of the IE7/IE8's are close to the HD650's. The mids are a bit more veiled on the IE8's I think. Also the tips are such a big factor when using these IEM's. Finding the perfect fit and comfort will determine the overall sound quality. I can easily use my IEM's for 6 hours and more without any discomfort They both have replaceable cables which is a must when purchasing expensive IEM's; the cables are made of Kevlar (the most durable plastic known to man). The IE8's may not be for you if you are concerned with bass but consider that using ear pieces that take the IE8's further from you ear canal could be the solution to this. When I use my large comply ear tips (TX500) I like to either turn up my bass knobs on the IE8's or turn up the bass control on my Fiio E7. The IE7's have nice strong bass but not overpowering at all to me. Both are very defined. I hope I was able to help you find our IEM solution, good luck.
Quote:
So, I currently own a pair of soundMagic PL50s, but the grilles covering the drivers actually came out (the glue started to loosen), so I'm either looking for replacement tips that will take care of that problem for me, or a new pair of IEMs. I want to stay under $200. A sound signature similar to the PL50s would be fine, or perhaps something with a touch more extensive bass and less shrill highs. I was considering getting a pair of Hippo VBs but I'm not really a huge bass-head, I'm just looking for something a bit more neutral. I love the sound of the HD555s/595s so that should give you an idea. Comfort is the absolute biggest concern though, and I would get custom-molds in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive. I found the PL50s decently comfortable but like all the other universal IEMs I've tried, they would fatigue my ears within 30 minutes to an hour of insertion. I'm attributing that to the crappy foam tips that were included with the cans, but they were the only tips that gave me a proper seal and at the time I wasn't willing to buy "aftermarket" tips.

tl;dr: want a neutral-sounding pair of IEMs for <= $200. Comfort is paramount. If customs exist for that price, I'd like to know.

Any suggestions?

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you for the posts guys. I ended up getting a set of Sony Hybrid tips for my PL50s and decided that I'll ride them to the ground and when they die, I'll hopefully have a nice set of full-size headphones that can replace them (I find over-ear cans much more comfortable over time than IEMs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back