Looking for my first tube amp.
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

greenarrow

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Topping DX7s for my DT880Pro, HE-4XX, Takstar HF-580,ATx-M50x and SIVGA. Thinking of trying out my first tube amp. Which entry level should I look for? Source is from PC. Budget not more than USD500. Advice highly appreciated.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
From what I've seen based on impressions, the Laconic Night Blues Mini and Eddie Current ZDT Jr. are pretty good for their price. Though, tubes generally wouldn't work too well for any of your headphones except for the DT880. Since tubes are generally better with high impedance, though I guess you could try a hybrid like the Schiit Vali?

Edit: The Project Ember II and Lyr are also good choices. The Lyr can be paired with a DAC as an option for a little bit of extra cost. The Bottlehead Crack is a great choice, but with some assembly required.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey @Gym_Turtle is right. I feel the Eddie Current ZDT jr, is the best tube amp under $1,000. But the headphones you have may not be the best choice for tubes. Senn 6xx does well with tubes. Id recc selling 1-2 of your headphones and getting the 6xx. I know you weren't here for headphone reccs, but I believe you will be 100% happy with that choice and combined with a good tube amp like the ZDT jr is a no brainer in that price range.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 5
What I look for is a DAC/HP amp to drive my headphones. I have on radar xDuoo and Nobosound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back