Looking for my first pair of nice headphones
Apr 22, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ClassicRock1169

New Head-Fier
I am new to the Audiophile scene and just looking for a nice pair of headphones.
I listen to mainly Classic Rock (Zeppelin, Sabbath, Beatles) Hard Rock (AC/DC) and Blues (SRV, Robert Johnson). I will be listening through an Ipod and maybe my computer later. My budget is around $100. I have heard some good things about Grado's but I am open to suggestions.
P.S are the new Grado's (the new i line) better than the old ones.

Thanks, ClassicRock1169

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 15
If you do go into Grados, here's my understanding of the upgrade chain:

SR60/i -> SR80/i -> SR225/i or SR325/i/is -> RS1

Go for the SR-80, FWIR it's a noticeable improvement over the SR60.

Don't take my word for it, of course, do the research.

I'll let others comment on the non-Grado options, I'm not really well-versed in the general views on budget 'phones.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 15
Alessandro MS-1 or Audio Technica AD700 would be my recommendations. The MS-1 is essentially a tweaked Grado SR125 and is more neutral and versatile than the Grados, while still retaining the Grado sound. Id recommend the MS-1 if you get a Grado.

The AD700 is great as well and has a much better soundstage than the MS-1. The AD700 lacks a bit in bass impact, though it is still great overall and very versatile for music, games, movies.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro MS-1 or Audio Technica AD700 would be my recommendations. The MS-1 is essentially a tweaked Grado SR125 and is more neutral and versatile than the Grados, while still retaining the Grado sound. Id recommend the MS-1 if you get a Grado.

I believe the MS1 is actually a tweaked sr80...the MS1 is $100, while the 125 is $150, there are several threads on this already....

that said, grados, or alessandros for that matter, are quite nice in my opinion especially for price

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Another one of my concerns is that I have heard (after my research) that the Grado SR-80 and Alessandra MS-1 NEED an amp to sound good. I don't like to blast my headphones because I want to protect my hearing but will I have to amp these cans then blast them for them to sound good?

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicRock1169 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another one of my concerns is that I have heard (after my research) that the Grado SR-80 and Alessandra MS-1 NEED an amp to sound good. I don't like to blast my headphones because I want to protect my hearing but will I have to amp these cans then blast them for them to sound good?

Uh... I'm going to go ahead and have to disagree with your research there.

Actually, both the SR80 and MS-1 are going to sound great without an amp. Even my SR-225s sound good out of an iPod or other DAP. There are some things that most certainly improve when you amp them, but they are among the best sounding phones available unamped.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... I'm going to go ahead and have to disagree with your research there.

Actually, both the SR80 and MS-1 are going to sound great without an amp. Even my SR-225s sound good out of an iPod or other DAP. There are some things that most certainly improve when you amp them, but they are among the best sounding phones available unamped.

Thanks man, but would you recommend the MS-1 or the SR80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back