Looking for info: Hypex UcD-180 for headphone amp
Feb 9, 2010 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy,

Several years back, I PM'd with someone who had used some Hypex UcD-180 modules in a headphone amp.

I have a UcD-180-based amp that I'm getting the HG module upgrades for, so my existing modules (180ad's) will be available for play. A friend of mine can build a regular or even a switching PS for it.

Since the Head-Fi crash of some time ago, I lost those old old PM's. Was wondering if 1) that person is still around and can give me some pointers, or 2) someone else in the know can do so.

I love the Hypex sound, and it doesn't change frequency response with impedance variations. So it might be fun to have him build a headphone amp for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions most appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd - skullguise.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 10
My memory is the least of my attributes but it might have been me. I built a Hypex UCD180 amp for use with my K1000's. It sounded very clean indeed but I longed for the more romantic or Technicolor presentation that tubes often bring so I sold it here and moved on to a different amp. I never did try it with my normal HD650s but it was a real "budget best" for the K1000s. Loads of detail and dynamics.

My build was pretty straight except that I wired it for single ended inputs and removed the two input blocking caps since I knew my source had no DC. I built it into a Par-metal case and used an internal divider to mount the two amp modules. They put out very little heat and each came mounted on a small heatsink/mount that met their needs well.

Feel free to PM me with questions or reply here.

Best,

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy,

Several years back, I PM'd with someone who had used some Hypex UcD-180 modules in a headphone amp.

I have a UcD-180-based amp that I'm getting the HG module upgrades for, so my existing modules (180ad's) will be available for play. A friend of mine can build a regular or even a switching PS for it.

Since the Head-Fi crash of some time ago, I lost those old old PM's. Was wondering if 1) that person is still around and can give me some pointers, or 2) someone else in the know can do so.

I love the Hypex sound, and it doesn't change frequency response with impedance variations. So it might be fun to have him build a headphone amp for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions most appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd - skullguise.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, Paul, it was you that I had chatted with....appreciate the reply.

I may have my friend hook me up with a simple switching PS, and maybe use these for a backup amp. I'd consider something like the Antique Sound Lab's UHC or a DIY equivalent to drive headphones (used to own the K1000's, no longer; I also liked them best with tubes, specifically a 2A3 amp I had).

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 10
A couple of months ago Joe from AudioTailor sent me an impedance compensation device to try out. It is a small well made device consisting of a pair of 1:4 permalloy transformers. The deal was the device was free if I would post my impressions.

I am ready to do that now, having allowed the transformers plenty of time to burn in. The short version is that these do the job very well and solved an issue I had where I wanted to listen to my HD650s with my Tektron tube amp. Without the transformers the 650s sounded quite bad with lost of noise. With the transformers it works very well and now allows me to use my 650's with a regular amp.

I will post listening impressions and mini-review in a separate thread. Joe said that the unit will sell for ~$100. Might work well with your Hypex as an alternative to the UHCs.

Best,

Paul

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Here are a couple of photos of the Hypex...

hypex1-sm.jpg

hypex2-sm.jpg

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, of course it just looks smaller than the usual ones we see here. Must be a 12"x8"x3" then
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Yup. Par-metal 20 series. Since the Hypex does not give off much heat I chose a close fit.

No resistor network since I was using it for the K1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back