Looking for In-ears that have a similar sound to Audio Technica ath-m50??
Jun 13, 2011 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tannerbnd

Aka: Tannerbnd24
Aka: rivers1724
Aka: rivers17
hey, I am looking for some in ears that have a similar sound quality of the audio technica ath-m50.....Would the westone 4 or shures 535 be a good fit for these? The audio technicas I have sound amazing, and i'm pretty unhappy with my klipsch image s4s compared to the audio technicas....I want a pair with strong highs, and crystal clear clarity, with punchy bass, although the bass is the least of wants in the headphones.....Anyone have any suggestions?...Thanks

PS--I listen to a lot of rock/metal

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 6
E-q5 have a very different frequency signature  than the monitor class audio technica ath-m50 .The e-Q5's dominant highs don't make them suitable for studio music production like the ath-m50, unless your sensitivity to high freq isn't so sensitive or  maybe some just prefer a brighter than "natural" sound .

Earsonic SM3 are the closest "similar sound" to the ath-m50 that I've heard ( I do own some M50's ,though because of design I use mainly the HD25's), The SM3's don't have the bass impact of the ath-m50.Though the SM3's have sufficient low  & high extension .

SM3's could be used as studio monitors like the ath-m50, provided the ear was attuned  to less bass  impact than a Decent Good quality full size headphone, as is the case with ALL I.E.M's  .

Just bear in mind when listening to a I.E.M & comparing them to a headphone sound, that  you can get some  similar sound characteristics, frequency range being one of them,but you won't get other headphone sound characteristics like bass impact/conductive vibration.

I.E.M's have characteristics that full size headphones don't have . The close "connected" or in the head sound that I.E.M's can provide can also give a extremely focused & detailed sound stage.

Some speak of hearing music like your sitting on the front stage ,some like your playing in the band .

I like to hear music like ....I AM THE MUSIC .
ksc75smile.gif

Well I'm certainly made from the same kinda 'stuff' .

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 6

I beg to disagree with this. The M50 mids are recessed unlike the SM3 and like you mentioned, the SM3 doesnt have the same bass slam as the M50. Plus the M50 is not veiled like the SM3 is.

I would say that the IE8, Westone 3 or the Monster Turbine Golds would be his best choice for this
Quote:
E-q5 have a very different frequency signature  than the monitor class audio technica ath-m50 .The e-Q5's dominant highs don't make them suitable for studio music production like the ath-m50, unless your sensitivity to high freq isn't so sensitive or  maybe some just prefer a brighter than "natural" sound .

Earsonic SM3 are the closest "similar sound" to the ath-m50 that I've heard ( I do own some M50's ,though because of design I use mainly the HD25's), The SM3's don't have the bass impact of the ath-m50.Though the SM3's have sufficient low  & high extension .

SM3's could be used as studio monitors like the ath-m50, provided the ear was attuned  to less bass  impact than a Decent Good quality full size headphone, as is the case with ALL I.E.M's  .

Just bear in mind when listening to a I.E.M & comparing them to a headphone sound, that  you can get some  similar sound characteristics, frequency range being one of them,but you won't get other headphone sound characteristics like bass impact/conductive vibration.

I.E.M's have characteristics that full size headphones don't have . The close "connected" or in the head sound that I.E.M's can provide can also give a extremely focused & detailed sound stage.

Some speak of hearing music like your sitting on the front stage ,some like your playing in the band .

I like to hear music like ....I AM THE MUSIC .
ksc75smile.gif

Well I'm certainly made from the same kinda 'stuff' .

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 6
JVC FX700, GR10, EQ-7, TF10Pro, ATH-CK100, Westone 4.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I beg to disagree with this. The M50 mids are recessed unlike the SM3 and like you mentioned, the SM3 doesn't have the same bass slam as the M50. Plus the M50 is not veiled like the SM3 is.

I would say that the IE8, Westone 3 or the Monster Turbine Golds would be his best choice for this

How very dare you disagree
tongue.gif
though I get your point in principle .

Yes the M50's mids are more recessed than the SM3 which are more pronounced in direct comparison 

Apologies for any miss understanding as I'm trying to answer from a monitor perspective . The V shaped of the m50 compared to the sm3 can give the impression that the SM3 is "veiled", though this is merely the perception that V shape signatures can offer . The highs for example give some people an impression of precision when in fact there simply more pronounced highs that are coloring the sound stage whilst not adding any refinement.

Coming from a V shaped preference the SM3 may at first seem "veiled" but give yourself a little time to adjust .I  like the more V shape sound that some I.E.M's produce for a change, but prefer the clarity of perception and musical presenation that the sm3's offer, especially for longer listening periods .

The SM3's are very revealing as they are offer superb instrument separation for I.E.M's & I would not use the term "veiled" at all to describe them.

Westone 3's ,which I am currently selling, are also a reasonable I.E.M alternative to the M50,apart from the mid-bass hump of the westone 3's . Quite often I'd produce music using the M50's then go out and listen to that music with the westone 3's . Quite often the westone 3's gave a relatively similar reproduction, a I.E.M Reproduction, of that sound I'd designed using the M50's .Though  with some tracks that mid-bass hump of the westone 3's just made the kick drum poke out of the mix too much .

I now use the HD25's for music production,though in compassion they may not seem quite as "lively" as the M50's , care-full listening can show they are in fact more responsive.So it's a matter of preference and what you feel is fun in music.

Having Only owned the SM3's for a short while I haven't had chance to fully test there studio monitor precision in direct comparison to the HD25's or M50's.

The westone 3's may suit you if you want the Highs and lows .Though if you are going to be producing music with them the SM3's would be more suitable for that task .IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back