looking for iems with nice bass-upgrade from s4
Apr 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fhurricane

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I am looking for some iems with good bass. I am coming from klipsch s4's, which I have lost and need a replacement for. I figure why not upgrade at the same time. My budget is up to $200 unless there is something so amazing for a little more. I looked through some other threads here and have seen suggestions of the hppo vb, but that is out of stock. Also I have seen the monster turbine golds mentioned, but those are pricey and I have also heard that they are not as fun to listen to as the s4's. Does anyone have any other suggestions to an upgrade to the s4?

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 6
What exactly do you mean by nice bass? And by 'upgrade' for that matter?

I think most people would agree that the Klipsch has decent bass response, but can use refinement in terms of bloom control and quickness, as well as texture and layering. Most of the complaints with the S4 are the mid-bass, midrange, and hot treble.

So do you want something with just better bass? Or do you want something that feels more balanced, along with better bass?

The Radius HP-TWF11 and its newer W21 big brother are worth taking a look at. Both have great bass and offer a fun combination of mids and highs that will most certainly be superior the the S4. I've listened to the TWF11 and have owned the S4 (well, still own, but it's a broken mess of wiring right now). The TWF11 may give you problems with the fit, though. The S4 is still one of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used.

The Panasonic HJE900 is a common recommendation for people upgrading from the S4, but I've never had any experience with it. Supposedly, it's similar to the S4, but better in every dimension.

Other bottom-heavy (but >$200) IEMs that I've found decent are the Monster Miles Davis (no experience with the Gold), and the Triple.Fi 10 (again, fit issues), as well as the IE8.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Thabks for the advice, ill look into the models yu suggested. As for what I want to upgrade to, I would like better overall sound, and the base to be at least equivalentto the s4, but that would be better too given the preference.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 6
+ 1 for Radius DDMs.  Nothing beats the price and the quality of sound you get in under $200 price range.
the new model W21 is a bit superior to DDMs but price is steeper too. You may want to contact Dimitri from MusicaAcoustics.com
and query if there is still a discount for Headfi users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back