Looking for help playing FLAC on iPhone
Nov 20, 2009 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I followed the instructions to jailbreak my 3.1 3G iPhone. I used Cydia to download vlc4iphone.

I have no clue how to use iTunes but I don't think that is the problem for me. I was able to get files into the ipod section of the iPhone.

I get lost where the directions say to transfer music to \var\mobile\Media\vlc4iphone

How do I do that? I have the iPhone connected to my PC but I am not allowed to drag and drop into it.

Plus, the only folder that show when I explore the iPhone is DCIM\100APPLE
which has 2 images I took in it. Am I completely slow?

What seems weird is that the vlc4iphone icon looks like a orange cone. Not what I was expecting for a media player.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 17
I can do no editing.

I isntalled iphonebrowser onto my PC and afc2 from Cydia onto the iPhone. Still nothing working. Could this problem be because I run a 64bit machine?

vlc4iphone does not work well for me. Once the program enters the media player I can not exit it. Sometimes vlc4iphone exits itself or I have to push the big round button on the iPhone. Do I have to pay before this stuff works?

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you not use ALAC?

FLAC takes quite less storage space. One of the possible reasons.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 17
I have my entire music collection saved as *.flac.

I messed up my iPhone big time. It will not restart properly. This stinks.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my entire music collection saved as *.flac.

I messed up my iPhone big time. It will not restart properly. This stinks.

Yeah, runs that risk when you jailbreak, especially with problematic homebrew stuff. Only way is to restore and rejailbreak.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Restore through iTunes? I am screwed because I have already tried that.

I am giving it another shot as I type this.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 17
I did this to get the iPhone off of the black screen with the white apple. The battery is dead so I am forced to leave the cable connected at all times.

Once the phone boots up iTunes recognizes it and see that is malfunctioning. That is when I selected the restore option. Am I on the right track?

I really appreciate you trying to help me azncookiecutter.

Comments: The restore got half way through (15 minutes left) and the iTunes CD logo and cable no longer show on the iPhone screen. It shows the damn white apple which sporadically disappears then reappears. That may be because the restore is going through different phases. Also, iTunes left the iPhone screen and now shows the Library->Music screen. It still says at the top that it's Downloading 1 Item.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 17
I think you need it to have a decent charge, the restore process needs to use the battery somehow. Let it charge for an hour or 2 before attempting again. From what recall, the restore process from DFU mode should be straightforward. Haven't done it in a while, so really can't remember correctly.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 17
The restore finished. The iPhone still has the white apple on the screen.

What is messed up is that I do not think the iPhone is getting charged. I think the cable is only powering the iPhone to keep it on.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 17
Dude, I am sorry to be a pest but your advice was great.

I think the phone did take a charge. I was able to turn it off which I was unable to do before. I am trying the restore again. This time there is a progress bar on the iPhone which was not there the two times I tried the restore earlier.

Update: And the phone is alive. Phew. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back