Looking for Headphones
Jan 29, 2011 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kevin!

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Basically, I'm looking to buy a set of headphones for approx 180 - 200 - maybe a little bit more but hopefully less if it makes a massive difference.
I listen to many different types of music which include D&B, Metal, Pop and classical - so I'm mainly looking for clarity but a bit of oomph also.

What sort of headphones am I looking at in this price range?

thanks.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 10
At that price range, it's really important to know what source is going to be used.  If you're going to run them out of your iPod or laptop out, there aren't many headphones in that range that will play well without a more robust amp.

If you have an amp, that opens up some interesting choices for you in that range.

Looking at that mix, I'm thinking Ultrasone might make you happy, but the Beyerdynamic DT250 is one of the only ones I've heard that excels in all of those genres as well.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 10
I agree with the Beyer recommendation. The DT770s would also work well with your music taste. Bit of boost to the bass and also great overall sound quality that Beyer is known for. They also have low impediance so you wouldn't need to get an amp if you don't want to.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
At that price range, it's really important to know what source is going to be used.  If you're going to run them out of your iPod or laptop out, there aren't many headphones in that range that will play well without a more robust amp.

If you have an amp, that opens up some interesting choices for you in that range.

Looking at that mix, I'm thinking Ultrasone might make you happy, but the Beyerdynamic DT250 is one of the only ones I've heard that excels in all of those genres as well.

Basically, I'll be using it for iPod but I will also be using it with my laptop.

I unfortunately don't have an amplifier either.

Quote:
I agree with the Beyer recommendation. The DT770s would also work well with your music taste. Bit of boost to the bass and also great overall sound quality that Beyer is known for. They also have low impediance so you wouldn't need to get an amp if you don't want to.

I'll check them out, I've been talking to a few friends and they say that the Grado sr 225i and the Shure SRH840 are good - is the Beyer better than both of those? considering I've no amp & I'm looking for mainly clarity and a bit of oomph for the occasional d&b song

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 10
I would say if you want to delve into Grado, to find a used pair of SR325i's here.  I got mine from $200 off of a buyer on here, and I love them.  They don't have an extreme amount of bass, but I would say it's more of a tight, accurate, and pleasant bass.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I would say if you want to delve into Grado, to find a used pair of SR325i's here.  I got mine from $200 off of a buyer on here, and I love them.  They don't have an extreme amount of bass, but I would say it's more of a tight, accurate, and pleasant bass.

I live in Ireland so I won't really be able to delve into the second hand market, but if it can be got on an online store I can order it to an American friend and he can forward it - so unfortunately at 300usd the're a bit above my price range.

So like, thinking along the 200USD purchase price, what's my best option?

cheers

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 10
The ATH M50's would be ideal for you I think, They have a very natural detailed sound for the price and have a big bottom end. They are easy to drive too and can be used straight from your ipod.

There are very popular on here, check out some reviews

An amp will make any headphones sound better though

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
The ATH M50's would be ideal for you I think, They have a very natural detailed sound for the price and have a big bottom end. They are easy to drive too and can be used straight from your ipod.

There are very popular on here, check out some reviews

An amp will make any headphones sound better though

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would it be worth spending the extra on the 880's considering it's going to be mainly driven from my iPod and not a amplifier? or would there not be a massive difference considering I'm using an mp3 player.

& If the 880's won't run on an iPod - is there a happy medium between the two priceranges or am I just better off snatching the M50's?

cheers

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Cant comment on the 880's havent heard them sorry.

You mentioned that you want clarity and oomph! The M50's deliver that. I havent read a bad review of them yet! Ive had mine a few years now and will never get rid of them even though I have got more expensive phones. They are tried and tested good quality hp's for a good price. They are popular both in the studio and for home listening, though I would say more for home listening as the bass is a little bit coloured as opposed to accurate, but certainly not overblown.

They do require a lot of burn in and can seem a bit bass heavy until they even out after a few days of constantly using them.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Cant comment on the 880's havent heard them sorry.

You mentioned that you want clarity and oomph! The M50's deliver that. I havent read a bad review of them yet! Ive had mine a few years now and will never get rid of them even though I have got more expensive phones. They are tried and tested good quality hp's for a good price. They are popular both in the studio and for home listening, though I would say more for home listening as the bass is a little bit coloured as opposed to accurate, but certainly not overblown.

They do require a lot of burn in and can seem a bit bass heavy until they even out after a few days of constantly using them.

I think what I'll do is order a pair of M50's - and then in the future if I become more seriously interested into audio I'll have a look into amp driven headphones and the likes.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions above, this is a great community and I plan to stay :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back