Looking for headphones with upper octaves that are smooth but have just a touch of punch
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Looking for headphones with upper octaves that are smooth but have just a touch of punch. I generally like the planar sound but I find most of the planars/orthos a bit laid back in this region. Any suggestions?

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Probably cost 8000 Canadian dollars. I'm wondering about the T60RP.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 12
Yes, overly relaxed in the upper mid. It sounds nice for a while then you notice the lack of spark, drive.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 12
I have the PM-2. The Acoustic Research AR-H1 comes close but still a bit soft in the presence region.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 12
I own the ATH-MSR7b for three days now, and I really like their sound signature. Soundstage, overall resolution, all great, and the treble is smooth but still sparkly. At first, it took me a bit to get used to (coming from the very warm Meze 99 Classics), but it is generally addicting. So addicting that I'll return the Meze's, I cannot live with the ATH anymore now. :D So, summed up they have a very balanced signature, may not be for bassheads, and the treble has a touch of added brightness, but tuned very tastefully!

You can read more about my first impressions here.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 12
I think the Sundara just might fit the bill. The upper octaves are smooth but also with a bit of grunt to them. I love my pair and generally think of the Sundara as THE perfect can for folks that don’t normally go for the laidback planar style. The Sundara sports a wonderfully clear presentation with a bit of snap at the top end.
It’s still very much a planar though as the bass reaches all the way down to 10 hz:)

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 12
I have an old friend popping by later on with his LCD2 classic. He is very interested in a comparison with my Sundara as I previously have compared it favourably to the original LCD2. Well I ended up prefering the clearer and more open presentation of the Hifiman. I also felt it was a tad more detailed and resolving, which was quite a surprise considering the price difference between the two.
I’ll report back but I have a gut feeling he’ll end up with the same result...mostly because he on a nummer of occasions have mentioned some of the same drawbacks to planars as have been mentioned in this thread: too laidback and marmelady.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 12
My friend ordered the Sundara shortly after visiting me and is currently in the process of convincing his brother that he positively needs an LCD2:)
He was literally blown away. After having listened to the new Acoustic Research as well as the Quad Era-1, cans that both had been described to him as planars without the typical laidback planar feel, he wasn’t expecting too much from the Hifiman. The smile coming from his face, when he put on Floyd’s Animals, was truly a sight to behold.

Hell he even tried the ol switcharoo with your’s truly though to no avail...but I am thinking now that I should’ve taken him up on his offer and sold off the Audeze, bought another Sundara and use whatever’s left on drugs and endangered species. I’ve been eyeing a panda for a long time now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back