Looking for headphones like ATH-MSR7b but with bass like ATH-M50x
Dec 24, 2022 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sebaz

Head-Fier
I've had the Audio Technica ATH-M50x for many years, and I love them. But I just bought a Fiio K7 amp and ATH-MSR7b headphones just to see what the whole balanced thing was about. Uncle Jeff told me it was fine, I could try them out and if I didn't like them just return them, he doesn't care because he already has his half billion dollar yacht with a helipad. :D

So the balanced thing really didn't impress me, I didn't notice any difference in the sound quality, but the ATH-MSR7b definitely sound better than the ATH-M50x. I'm over 50 so my hearing on the higher frequencies has declined a bit, although not excessively. But I like my EQ curves U shaped, and with Apple Music on iPhone, the best you can get is that ridiculous set of presets that come with it, none of which is customizable. So I go between the Classical, Late Night, Loudness and Rock presets, which are the ones that get closer to what I like. I don't go for that purist crap that you have to listen to music without any additional EQ because that's the way it was intended, etc, etc. Because the only way to really do that, would be to be at the studio when it's being recorded, listening to it with the same headphones and speakers that the recording engineer is using. And even then, it's not exactly the same, because hearing is not the same on each person.

So, the ATH-MSR7b definitely has much more clarity than the ATH-M50x, and it seems to me it also has a wider sound stage. But the only thing that lacks is bass. With a proper music player like Jet Audio, which has not only EQ but two other great DSPs, I can get them very close to the ATH-MSR7b, but unfortunately, Jet Audio player can't play any Apple Music songs unless they are the ones you purchased. And definitely can't play the lossless ones, even if it can play lossless formats, just not the ones from Apple Music. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everything lossless or above on Apple Music can only be played by the iOS and macOS Music app.

So what I'm looking for are headphones that have a very similar sound signature to the ATH-MSR7b but with the bass of the ATH-M50x, even if they're not Audio Technica. I was close to order the Grado SR-80x, but I remember that about 20 years ago I had two pairs of those that ended up in the trash when the diaphragm got loose, and I like my music loud, but I'm not deaf, and the ATH-M50x lasted just fine for six years at the same volume, so Grados are a no-go.

Any recommendations?

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Sony MDR-1AM2, kind of similar pop/rock oriented sound as the M50x but the sound is more clear and the same form factor as the MSR7b

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Sony MDR-1AM2, kind of similar pop/rock oriented sound as the M50x but the sound is more clear and the same form factor as the MSR7b
Thanks, but I should've clarified that no Sonys for me. I've had enough bad experiences with all kinds of Sony products that I arrived at the conclusion that Sony is overpriced, overvalued garbage. Mediocre at best.

Now, you may be totally right, but I've used the industry standard Sony MDR-7506, and to me they sound horrible. Emphasis of the mid highs without any clarity. But even if the ones you mentioned had the sound I'm looking for, I got screwed by Sony so much that I will never buy a Sony product again.

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, but I should've clarified that no Sonys for me. I've had enough bad experiences with all kinds of Sony products that I arrived at the conclusion that Sony is overpriced, overvalued garbage. Mediocre at best.

Now, you may be totally right, but I've used the industry standard Sony MDR-7506, and to me they sound horrible. Emphasis of the mid highs without any clarity. But even if the ones you mentioned had the sound I'm looking for, I got screwed by Sony so much that I will never buy a Sony product again.

To each his own, but the MDR-1AM2 doesn't sound even remotely like the 7506. The 7506 is a monitor can with the emphasis you mentioned as it is a tool. The MDR-1AM2 is made for enjoying music and sounds completely different, it is also a like 40 years newer construction ...

Dec 25, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 7
If you're otherwise content with the headphones + EQ - Not sure but I think the qudelix 5k works with iOS? Should allow system-wide EQ through its app, but I don't have a 5k or iOS so don't take my word for it. There may be some other dongles w/ similar function.

Do you wear glasses? Think i've seen some people mention bass issues w/ glasses & msr7 earpads.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 7
If you're otherwise content with the headphones + EQ - Not sure but I think the qudelix 5k works with iOS? Should allow system-wide EQ through its app, but I don't have a 5k or iOS so don't take my word for it. There may be some other dongles w/ similar function.
Thank you, Raketen, that seems to be a really good amp. The only thing lacking is a 3.5mm input to connect a portable player, but a 10 band EQ, with the insane amount of customization it offers (Q range and any frequency you want to assign to those 10 spots), for $110 and great reviews, seems like a steal. I just ordered one, I'll report back when I get it.
Do you wear glasses? Think i've seen some people mention bass issues w/ glasses & msr7 earpads.
Yes, but I also use glasses when I'm using the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and others that have better bass. I don't see anything in the ATH-MSR7b pads that would be so much different than similar Audio-Technica pads.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey man, I got the Qudelix 5K today, and it's freaking amazing!! The sound quality coming out of such a tiny little thing is unbelievable. The degree of customization that you get with it, especially when it comes to the EQ, is insane. Uncle Jeff let me try the Fiio K7, then the Fiio Q3 MQA and this one. The Fiios are OK, but they pale in comparison to the sound quality of this thing. Sure, it may not have an analog input, and I told uncle Jeff to send me a Fiio A1 for just that, but this Qudelix is out of this world. The box looks so basic that you would even think it's some scam, but when you connect this thing, damn, you would never believe something that is at best slightly bigger than my thumb can sound so good, even compared to the Fiio K7 which looks like a fridge in comparison.

So thank you so so much for recommending it to me, and if you don't have it, you should tell uncle Jeff to send you one, or two. Trust me, you won't regret it. I'm going to get another one just to have in case anything happens to one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back