Looking for Headphones - $200 or less (used or new)
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hans030390

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I have the urge to get a new pair of headphones. I own some HD555s (w/ foam and soundstage mod), ATH-M50s, and DBI Pro700s. I like the HD555s because they sound very natural to my ears. I can definitely tell that I like open headphones more than closed just because of them. However, they can definitely sound thin at times. My ATH-M50s sound fairly balanced, though they can be a bit bassy at times. The DBI Pro700s are even more bassy, but they're also too bright for my ears. Both of them just sound...odd compared to the HD555s, and I feel this is due to them being closed.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that keep the open, natural sound of the HD555s but add some more warmth and bass like the other headphones I have. I also need something that is not fatiguing or bright. Comfort is also an issue. The HD555s are, by far, the most comfortable pair of headphones I have. They can still clamp a bit too much, though. The ATH-M50s are OK, but also clamp and apply pressure on the top of my head. The DBIs...well, they're just not comfortable at all. This is primarily due to the pads.

For now, I'm running these off my Xonar DX sound card or S:flo2. For now, I do not have the money for a nice, dedicated amp. This can come later, though, so feel free to recommend headphones that might need more power.

I primarily listen to Opeth, Radiohead, techno, classical, etc. So, simply put, I really do need headphones that can cover almost any genre.

I have no issues buying used.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 11
I've been reading about the Denon AH-D2000s, and they seem like they might be a good choice for me. There is a good chance I'll mod them.

Also, considering I like my modded HD555s, I was considering stepping up to the HD600s. I'm just afraid they won't have the lower bass and warmth I'm looking for, having compared the frequency response graphs of the HD555s and HD600s. I understand that I'll eventually need an amp for these.

Opinions?

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
the d2000 are closed headphones

I'm aware of this. I didn't say the headphones had to be open. I just liked the natural sound I get from my HD555s, which I'm assuming is because they're open. From what I've read, the D2000s seem to be OK at this...as in, they don't has too much of a closed sound to them.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 11
I have the 580 with the 600 grills and 650 cable and I own the 555. When I switch between the two, the 580 is just more smooth and refined with better better bass and more extended, but slightly less forward highs. It is definitely a step up. You will need an amp to get the most out of them, but they will still be better than the 555. Don't expect dramatic differences, because they both have the Sennehiser house sound. There are not a lot of warm sounding, balanced headphones out there, which is why Sennheiser people usually stick with Sennheiser.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

I'm aware of this. I didn't say the headphones had to be open. I just liked the natural sound I get from my HD555s, which I'm assuming is because they're open. From what I've read, the D2000s seem to be OK at this...as in, they don't has too much of a closed sound to them.

Gah you talk about closed headphones like it's a plague, you should listen to a good set of closed cans before you start talking differences. For when you do you'l learn it's not so important that it's closed or not but it's the fact that the headphone you are listening to is far more important for the sound.

Also don't think of Open > Closed cause that doesn't work, "Better" is subjective and relative to the user's prefferences. If all the user knows is Open then I'm gonna assume given the right closed they will be impressed( or not at all, which is fine).  Especially how some of these pretenious audiophile speak about open headphones. They whisper strange idea's in you new kids heads, and relish cause you just join their posse cause you don't know much better.

I've only personal been impressed by the HD650 on a DAC1 and some really nice tube amp. Does that mean that all closed headphones are better? No, but for me it means I've enjoyed more closed and semi open cans then I ever did open headphones. Does that mean I hate almost all openheadphones, well most of them I've listened too, but I don't hate most I've listened too as well.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Very true from what I've read. Beyers I owned had nice openness to them and the Fisher's I have on order are supposedly just as "open" sounding as open phones. I might try the D2000 when the price drops back under $200.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gah you talk about closed headphones like it's a plague, you should listen to a good set of closed cans before you start talking differences. For when you do you'l learn it's not so important that it's closed or not but it's the fact that the headphone you are listening to is far more important for the sound.

Also don't think of Open > Closed cause that doesn't work, "Better" is subjective and relative to the user's prefferences. If all the user knows is Open then I'm gonna assume given the right closed they will be impressed( or not at all, which is fine).  Especially how some of these pretenious audiophile speak about open headphones. They whisper strange idea's in you new kids heads, and relish cause you just join their posse cause you don't know much better.

I've only personal been impressed by the HD650 on a DAC1 and some really nice tube amp. Does that mean that all closed headphones are better? No, but for me it means I've enjoyed more closed and semi open cans then I ever did open headphones. Does that mean I hate almost all openheadphones, well most of them I've listened too, but I don't hate most I've listened too as well.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 11

Good luck slaughter, They don't seem to drop below $200 dollars often. I did see it drop close to $200 more often though.  I was waiting like you for awhile and caved in recently.  I be pissed if you did though.
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I think you're misunderstanding me. The HD555s were the first open headphones I owned! I've had the JVC HA-RX700s and 900s, and currently own the ATH-M50s and DBI Pro700s. Some closed headphones just have too much of a closed sound to them. The Pro700s definitely have a closed sound to them, for example. I know that other closed headphones actually sound closer to open headphones than not, if you can put it that way. I just noticed that the HD555s don't have any of that "closed" sound I've heard with my other closed headphones before. It just sounds more natural than what I've heard before. I'm positive there are plenty of closed headphones around that will sound just as natural to me, and I'd love to hear them. It has nothing to do with open being better or worse than closed headphones as a whole.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm Selling some really lightly used (used for only 3 weeks) AKG K172 HD's.
They are pretty good headphones, the velvet ear pads are really comfortable especially after the foam breaks in a bit.
It has great stage sound and works well on Mac's and iPhone's but sounds incredible in a better amp.
Look into them they might not be your thing but they are good headphones, the only reason I'm selling is cause of this holiday season.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

my input is, the d2000 are much more comfortable than the M50 and have much less clamp force. Also my ears doesn't feel like it is touching anything. I don't know why but the pads on the M50 sometimes feel sticky against my ears.  I'm not sure what you are try to describe, but I'm assuming you are probable talking about sound stage.  Yes they do have a larger soundstage than some other close headphones.  If your not talking about soundstage, then yes they do have a close  feel to them as they are closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back