Looking for Gaming Headphones
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ScarsHD

New Head-Fier
I've checked out Mad Lust's headphone guide but since he's using dolby, I don't think it's a reliable source. I don't really know anything about audio. I have an integrated sound card with my motherboard Gigabyte-Z77M-D3H, So i'm guessing it'll have to be Stereo output. The current headphones I use are from what I know very overpriced and **** for gaming... Solo HD Beats..

I simply want to know what headphones to get. I may be going to LAN's in the future, but i'm pretty sure I can just buy earmuffs and just put that on top of my headphones if the ones you reccomend aren't closed. I would like them to be over-ear because the headphones I have now are on-ear and it gets litterally painful after like 2 hours of wearing them (and I play for like 8+ hours sometimes) but comfort isnt really the priority since I kind of got used to having my ears hurt while I play.

Budget: $150 CANADIAN (This is important, if you give me a price from amazon.com, it may be like 3x the price on amazon.ca...)
Prefferably available at canadacomputers.com but it's alright if it isn't

Only headphones i've considered:

Creative Aurvana Live! ($130.99) - currently going for this

Skullcandy Slyr ($99.99)

Brainwavz HM5 ($143.04)

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 ($149.99)

Koss KSC75 (A very different style. Clip-on. According to Mad Envy Lust's guide, they compare very well to ATH-AD700 and cost 130$ less.) (~$20)

Sennheiser PC300 (Also a very different style. IEM.) ($84.99)

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 14
You're ruling out Mad Lust Envy's guide because he uses Dolby Headphone?

The thing is, a lot of us demand things like CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, THX TruStudio Surround, etc. because it's just that much better than gaming in stereo, which often means "one-dimensional left-right panning with absolutely no sense of front and back, let alone high and low". That's why gaming headphone reviews are written with such mixing technologies in mind; some headphones tend to bring out the positional cues better than others.

It's not like a half-decent sound card costs that much, either. Just look at the Xonar DG(X) or second-hand X-Fi cards (that aren't the XtremeAudio fakes; you don't want those). Those should sell for under CA$50 easily, unless they're way overpriced compared to the US for some reason.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I've checked out Mad Lust's headphone guide but since he's using dolby, I don't think it's a reliable source. I don't really know anything about audio. I have an integrated sound card with my motherboard Gigabyte-Z77M-D3H, So i'm guessing it'll have to be Stereo output. The current headphones I use are from what I know very overpriced and **** for gaming... Solo HD Beats..

I simply want to know what headphones to get. I may be going to LAN's in the future, but i'm pretty sure I can just buy a pair of those sound dampening headphone things (The kinda thing that construction workers put on their head) and just put that on top of my headphones if the ones you reccomend aren't closed. I would like them to be over-ear because the headphones I have now are on-ear and it gets litterally painful after like 2 hours of wearing them (and I play for like 8+ hours sometimes) but comfort isnt really the priority since I kind of got used to having my ears hurt while I play.

Budget: $150 CANADIAN (This is important, if you give me a price from amazon.com, it may be like 3x the price on amazon.ca...)

1: The Dolby thing rules out his guide completely? Really? All of his comments regarding sound sigs is rendered null and void because of this? Honestly?

2: You're going to put...industrial earmuffs. Over (potentially) AD700s. But you can't.
The cup size is much too large. Plus it would completely destroy the advantages of an OPEN-back can. If the isolation is for LAN parties needed get closed sets.

3: Access to NCIX? Newegg.ca? 

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 14
If i'm going to LAN's I can't just go there and pop in a new sound card, I don't think. And like I said, I really don't know anything about audio so the fact that I disregarded his guide was more of a precaution then anything. And of course I have access to NCIX and Newegg it's just it'd be nice if i can pick it up at a local store(Canadacomputers) instead of paying extra shipping. Prices on newegg and ncix .ca are higher then .com too. Thanks for your responses :)

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 14
I don't understand the problem with getting a sound card? Also, don't you have access to dolby headphones and the like with your current integrated sound card? I would say you should get some soundcard for 50$ and spend the rest on a headphone.

Will you use the headphones for music at all?

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Problem with a sound card is i'm pretty sure if I go to a LAN party they won't let me just pop open the case and put in a new sound card (So therefore I won't use one in my own computer, for consistency). And of course I will use it for music but I don't really care how good the quality is, as long as it works. I just want it to be really good for gaming (mainly positioning)

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 14
Oh and I have something to add for you, TwinQY & NamelessPFG

Quote:
1: The Dolby thing rules out his guide completely? Really? All of his comments regarding sound sigs is rendered null and void because of this? Honestly?

You're ruling out Mad Lust Envy's guide because he uses Dolby Headphone?

Quote:

Let me make this clear as day. This quick guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround (I personally use Dolby Headphone). NOT stereo, so those looking at this guide as a headphone guide for stereo gaming will be wasting their time looking here. I ONLY play with Dolby Headphone virtual surround, so I CAN'T and WON'T make suggestions to those who wanna play in plain stereo. That is all.​

(Sorry for double post, meant to edit my last one.)

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 14
Ever thought of getting some kind of usb sound card? It is really a VERY big advantage to use dolby and the like. The ad700 is good for gaming anyways. If you care just a bit for music the ad900 would be a good upgrade. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I simply want to know what headphones to get. I may be going to LAN's in the future, but i'm pretty sure I can just buy a pair of those sound dampening headphone things (The kinda thing that construction workers put on their head) and just put that on top of my headphones if the ones you reccomend aren't closed. I would like them to be over-ear because the headphones I have now are on-ear and it gets litterally painful after like 2 hours of wearing them (and I play for like 8+ hours sometimes) but comfort isnt really the priority since I kind of got used to having my ears hurt while I play.

Koss KSC75 (A very different style but according to Mad Envy Lust's guide, they compare very well to ATH-AD700 and cost 130$ less.) (~$20)

Sennheiser PC300 (Also a very different style.) ($84.99)

Heya,

Brainwavz HM5. MP4nation.net has worldwide shipping and it's generally free. Great for isolation, gaming, etc. And music.

Quote:
Ever thought of getting some kind of usb sound card? It is really a VERY big advantage to use dolby and the like. The ad700 is good for gaming anyways. If you care just a bit for music the ad900 would be a good upgrade. 

A lot of lans do not allow you to modify the machines or add gear. They keep them set a certain way. You can simply bring headphones. He's probably involved in those. It's not like the ones where you bring your own machine.

Very best,

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 14

Brainwavz HM5. MP4nation.net has worldwide shipping and it's generally free. Great for isolation, gaming, etc. And music.

I've heard lots of bad things about MP4nation, gonna try to refrain from buying from there. Although I looked at those headphones before and they look good, just I can't find anywhere that sells them.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
If i'm going to LAN's I can't just go there and pop in a new sound card, I don't think. And like I said, I really don't know anything about audio so the fact that I disregarded his guide was more of a precaution then anything. And of course I have access to NCIX and Newegg it's just it'd be nice if i can pick it up at a local store(Canadacomputers) instead of paying extra shipping. Prices on newegg and ncix .ca are higher then .com too. Thanks for your responses :)

Fortunately, you've got a few USB options, like the Asus Xonar U3, Creative Recon3D USB, and so forth.

Unfortunately, you'll still need administrator privileges on whatever computer you're using them with to install the drivers so you get headphone virtual surround in the first place. Is that going to be a problem?

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Fortunately, you've got a few USB options, like the Asus Xonar U3, Creative Recon3D USB, and so forth.

Unfortunately, you'll still need administrator privileges on whatever computer you're using them with to install the drivers so you get headphone virtual surround in the first place. Is that going to be a problem?

I've checked out Asus Xonar U3. Will most definetely get that in the future. It probably won't be a problem. I don't know if i mentioned this but, I have never been to a LAN. I know I will be going to some in the future. Preparing for whatever could come up but i'm sure i'll be able to install drivers without a problem. (If I can't, can't I just put them on a USB flash drive? Not too sure how administrator priviliges work as every computer i've used except school I'm an administrator on.) Now what i'm looking for basically is closed AD700s, so that I could use them in LANs. So far the best solution I have in mind are Sennheiser PC300s (IEM) + earmuffs. OR ideally Brainwavz hm5 but i'm skeptical about MP4nation.net, seen lots of bad reviews on that store. I prefer headphones, so i'm looking for more suggestions. I looked around most places on the site and all that I find is people suggesting ad700s, discontinued headphones and lots of headphones out of my budget..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back