Looking for entry level AKGs
Oct 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

7S Cameron

1000+ Head-Fier
I really want to try the AKG brand, but I don't know what to start with. I am looking for something relatively cheap that gives a good impression of the standard AKG sound signature. I'm okay with any type (IEMs, full sized, etc) I would just like them to be AKG. I don't know if it matters, but my primary genre is metal music.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 15
Budget?

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 15
Oct 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Any suggestions guys?

240 is a good place to start.
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381527641&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+240s

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 15

Any suggestions guys?

240 is a good place to start.
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381527641&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+240s

Agreed.  They need a bit of amping though.  They also scale up well with better amps--a rarity in this price range.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 15
All the AKGs I've heard I would seriously not consider appropriate for metal
K550/K551, K601, K/Q701 are NOT the model you want to use for your music type. I cannot speak for the other models but again I highly doubt it. Also they would be far above your intended price range.

If you want to try them out for curiosity, you can probably from a used pair of the old K601 on the for sale thread for a little over $100

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 15
  All the AKGs I've heard I would seriously not consider appropriate for metal
K550/K551, K601, K/Q701 are NOT the model you want to use for your music type. I cannot speak for the other models but again I highly doubt it. Also they would be far above your intended price range.

If you want to try them out for curiosity, you can probably from a used pair of the old K601 on the for sale thread for a little over $100

To be honest my curiosity derives from my love of JBL speakers. I figured that AKGs would have the closest sound signature to them.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 15
To be honest my curiosity derives from my love of JBL speakers. I figured that AKGs would have the closest sound signature to them.

JBL and AKG are different company/brands that were bought up (merged with) Harman Kardon with a different consumer base and different product lines. I would no more expect JBL and AKG to sound the same than I would JBL and Revel (another Harman owned brand). Or Klipsch to sound like Audiovox equipment now that Audiovox owns them :wink:

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 15
JBL and AKG are different company/brands that were bought up (merged with) Harman Kardon with a different consumer base and different product lines. I would no more expect JBL and AKG to sound the same than I would JBL and Revel (another Harman owned brand). Or Klipsch to sound like Audiovox equipment now that Audiovox owns them
wink.gif

Well, it's the best option I've got xD I've auditioned some Harman headphones and they sounded amazing.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, it's the best option I've got xD I've auditioned some Harman headphones and they sounded amazing.

There are many different companies that make excellent headphones. And the same companies will sometimes come out with crappy ones, too, or ones that there are definitely better price/performance values.

Here are lots of good options. :)

* Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame lists: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame (scroll down the links to the lists; most headphones link to a longer, fuller review)

* And scroll down to the lists of headphones in this Head-Fi buyer's guide: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide (click to show the lists).

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Looks like he has decent portables covered with the JVC's, and a great full size in the AT's.
Metal is his genre, AKG works here but as mentioned you have great options.
Grado (Made for Metal/Rock) I think 80's are a great entry point, even the 60's are great to start.
Very love it or hate it headphone, I'm in the Love it but can't wear the damn things due to the comfort. I go on long jam outs but after an hour my ears are swiss cheese.

Beyerdynamic DT770/80ohm is another great Metal can. Outstanding build quality, top of the heap for comfort. Deep hard hitting Bass (When it's needed), great detailed mids and a nice smooth treble, BIG soundstage for a close can...My Go-To set.

Koss DJ100/TBSE  Thats right, another pick for metal.  Bass can be light for some, But what is there is tight and greatly layered. Mids are outstanding. Best I've heard in a cheap set.
Highs are rolled off (Think Senn).  Can be very amp picky, Amps not needed but amped proper they really shine. Punching WAY above their low price. Neutral to slight above amp needed.
Gotta add M50 pads, it's a must. Total different sounding set just with a pad swap.

CAL-what needs to be said? works with all music,

M50-I hate these cans, BUT they do work really well with Metal/Rock. The V-shape sig helps, a fun set for sure. Don't pay full retail at $150, soundpros sell them for $99 off and on (Right now $99)
At full retail they are outclassed by the Beyers mentioned above...

This is a good start, for cheaper sets, others can chime in on higher sets. I stopped at the Beyers and feel no need to go up the chain right now.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 15
  Looks like he has decent portables covered with the JVC's, and a great full size in the AT's.
Metal is his genre, AKG works here but as mentioned you have great options.
Grado (Made for Metal/Rock) I think 80's are a great entry point, even the 60's are great to start.
Very love it or hate it headphone, I'm in the Love it but can't wear the damn things due to the comfort. I go on long jam outs but after an hour my ears are swiss cheese.

Beyerdynamic DT770/80ohm is another great Metal can. Outstanding build quality, top of the heap for comfort. Deep hard hitting Bass (When it's needed), great detailed mids and a nice smooth treble, BIG soundstage for a close can...My Go-To set.

Koss DJ100/TBSE  Thats right, another pick for metal.  Bass can be light for some, But what is there is tight and greatly layered. Mids are outstanding. Best I've heard in a cheap set.
Highs are rolled off (Think Senn).  Can be very amp picky, Amps not needed but amped proper they really shine. Punching WAY above their low price. Neutral to slight above amp needed.
Gotta add M50 pads, it's a must. Total different sounding set just with a pad swap.

CAL-what needs to be said? works with all music,

M50-I hate these cans, BUT they do work really well with Metal/Rock. The V-shape sig helps, a fun set for sure. Don't pay full retail at $150, soundpros sell them for $99 off and on (Right now $99)
At full retail they are outclassed by the Beyers mentioned above...

This is a good start, for cheaper sets, others can chime in on higher sets. I stopped at the Beyers and feel no need to go up the chain right now.

Wow, thanks for the detailed post. I've considered Grados, but comfort is a very important factor for me as I listen to music for long periods of time. I've also been curious about the Beyerdynamic brand in general, so that's definitely something to consider. Someone else recommended the DT990 Pro 250 Ohms, do you know anything about those?

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 15
I am ok with K240 MK ii. The comfort level is very good for long hours of listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back