Looking for companion to K702s
Mar 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

realmassy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
as the title states I'm looking for a companion to my beloved K702s.
I mostly listen to acoustic jazz and chamber music, but I'm after something with a different sound signature, bassy, warm, relaxed. Also, they must be closed.
I have a Roc amp, with a Little Dot DAC_I (soon to be replaced by an Audio-GD dac).
I'm thinking about some ultrasones but the Edition 8s are way over my budget, which is around $500. Any help is welcome :)

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 35
The D2000 or D5000 should work here acceptably. They are not totally relaxed, but IMO more on the laid back than on the agressive side. Keep away from the mid- and lowprice Ultrasones, those are redneck Ssssh-boooom machines with ghettoblaster sound sig, that's more suitable for the wanna-be-gangsta fraction.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 35
Thanks nicken.
Nice description of the Ultrasones :-D
What about your K271s? I guess they're too similar to the K702...
As for the D2000/D5000, are they good without any mods? Is the cable ready to be reterminated with XLR connector, or do they need a complete recable?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy
What about your K271s? I guess they're too similar to the K702...

Exactly.
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the RS-1.

I'm glad you didn't suggest the K701's... just kidding :)
Actually I heard only the SR60s and I didn't like what I heard. I'm looking for some laid back cans, closed...So no Grados for me, or maybe the GS1000? They should be a good match with acoustic music.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 35
If you love the K702's, you may well not like a can with a very heavy bass signature. The Denon's may well be a tad too much for you, as my D5000's turned out to be for me, but you never know. Pity that you can't afford the Ed8's since they're a terrific match for the sonic signature you're seeking. Once I got the Ed8's, I sold my D5000's since the Ed8's were slam dunk much more in keeping with the sonic signature I've been looking for along that line.

A Grado RS1 may well suite your desire for a relaxed sound. It could do this at lower listening volumes. This is the case with my other 2 Grado's. The GS1000 makes for a very interesting proposition, but I went for the RS1 for the smaller form factor. I really love the weight and size of the RS2i. Great fit and comfort.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 35
I'm in the same page as you are... only I'm looking for open ones with more punch to the bass on them. I found so far just from reviews that the best companion would be a pair of Grado HF-2's. From what I've heard they have a little more pronounced bass than the RS-1's... and definitely more warm and relaxed than the 702's. Though they seem to be made with unobtainium and I can't find their specifications anywhere either... *sigh*

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you love the K702's, you may well not like a can with a very heavy bass signature. The Denon's may well be a tad too much for you, as my D5000's turned out to be for me, but you never know. Pity that you can't afford the Ed8's since they're a terrific match for the sonic signature you're seeking. Once I got the Ed8's, I sold my D5000's since the Ed8's were slam dunk much more in keeping with the sonic signature I've been looking for along that line.

Maybe I should put away more money and go for the Edition 8...
Or use the money I've been saving up for the DAC :)

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by groovizintheheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same page as you are... only I'm looking for open ones with more punch to the bass on them. I found so far just from reviews that the best companion would be a pair of Grado HF-2's. From what I've heard they have a little more pronounced bass than the RS-1's... and definitely more warm and relaxed than the 702's. Though they seem to be made with unobtainium and I can't find their specifications anywhere either... *sigh*

Oh. I forgot the HF-2's. The sonic descriptions I've read here would also make it an interesting choice. RealMassy, you should consider these as well and there's one for sale now, as we speak, on the FS forum.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 35
Denons are a good bet in terms of closed cans. Very bassy, yes, but very satisfying to listen to - nice, warm, and fun. Just be forewarned that when you switch back and forth between the Denons and the AKGs, you'll need to give your ears 15-20 minutes to adjust to the new sound, otherwise each one will sound like crap when you come from the other.

The other major brand with a lot of potential options are Ultrasones (which are bassy, but divisive, as you can tell...), or one of the Audio-Technicas (whose sound signature I don't think will be suitably different and bassy from the AKGs). Then there are one-offs - the Shure SRH840 (whose sound signature is slightly bassier than the K702, but may not be different enough, and you will miss too much of the soundstage), the SRH750DJ, or the GMP 8.35 D (I don't know much about these two).

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons are a good bet in terms of closed cans. Very bassy, yes, but very satisfying to listen to - nice, warm, and fun. Just be forewarned that when you switch back and forth between the Denons and the AKGs, you'll need to give your ears 15-20 minutes to adjust to the new sound, otherwise each one will sound like crap when you come from the other.

Hehe. Yes. I remember this with the Denons and HD650's. The K702's are even less warm than the HD650's. I personally haven't been able to enjoy the two extremes. One extreme had to be closer to what I really liked in the long run. Interestingly, it's the less bassy extreme that won out. Who'd have thought this considering my excitement when I first heard that Denon sound. However, it's really about the long haul and the novelty of some heavily coloured sonic signatures eventually wearing off. OTOH, the Grado colour has been one that has stood the test of time on my ears.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 35
The HF-2 is tempting, but I'd prefer a closed can. Basically the choice is between the Denon D2000/5000 or some Ultrasones, possibly saving up for the Edition 8. Is the Edition 8 really that good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back