looking for comfortable overear headphones! budget < $70
Jun 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

silvernoy

New Head-Fier
hey guys, 

new to headfi.
im looking for comfortable headphones with great bass for under 70.
currently own the shure srh 240 but the bass too weak for my taste and its highs are quite piercing at times..

anyway, the important thing is good bass (quality and quantity) and wont heat up so quickly.
Most important thing is that it has to be VERY comfortable.

Thanks! 
gs1000.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 20
My Sennheiser HD428 seem to fit that bill. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned and they do deliver adequate bass. You might want to EQ the bass up though if you find it to be not enough. I've never had the problem of them heating up my ears either.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 20
Superlux HD668B semi-open headphones, $50.
They are a Taiwanese knock off of the AKG K240

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 20
^ but theyre not comfortable, right? I had them before and it gets really hot after ~30 minutes. i live in a warm environment though.

for OP, try Creative Aurvana Live.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
^ But they are not comfortable, right? I had them before and it gets really hot after ~30 minutes. I live in a warm environment though.

The Creative Labs CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) are good headphone (I own them).
But to me the cups are on the small size, barely fit around my ears, and the diaphragm seems to be about 1mm from my ear.
So I can only wear them for short periods of time.

For $15, you can get felt ear pads for the HD668B (eBay).

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
^ but theyre not comfortable, right? I had them before and it gets really hot after ~30 minutes. i live in a warm environment though.

whats op?
i live in a very warm environment too!
Quote:
Original Sennheiser PX100 would fit the bill unless you need plus-plus bass. Very comfy and nice sound.

hmm.. shall try it out later.
Quote:
The Creative Labs CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) are good headphone (I own them).
But to me the cups are on the small size, barely fit around my ears, and the diaphragm seems to be about 1mm from my ear.
So I can only wear them for short periods of time.

For $15, you can get felt ear pads for the HD668B (eBay).

was looking into cals too..
my ears are huge.. shall give them a try later.

the hd668b doesnt seem comfortable..

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 20
I would like to know this as well~

I just got the JVC RX700 because of all the praise that it gets here, but honestly, I am a bit disappointed.

It plays good music, I guess, I really have nothing to compare to except the earplug headphones that I got with my iphone.  But I was expecting something spectacular.

I guess I wanted something with more bass, which it didn't deliver.  I had it burn-in for an hour and it got a little bit better than when I first listened to it, but it is still far from what I want.  Maybe I'm looking for something that will actually shake your head with you have it blasting!  Plus this thing is huge!  I got hot from it after about 45mins during night time.  I will give it another few days to break in until I make my final decision whether I will send it back. =(

Gonna keep my eye here and see what else will be within this price range.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 20
If you could increase your price zone to closer to $200, then a your wants for decent bass, comfort and a satisfying sound signature could be more easily met.
I too started out in your position, but once I landed on Head-Fi priorities changed quickly - hence the Head-Fi colloquialism - 'sorry 'bout your wallet' : )

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 20
went for the CAL!

love the bass and how the sound was presented.
rather comfortable as well!

thanks everyone for recommendation.
one last thing to bother you guys, when im listening to the CALs on my mp3 ( Sony E445), do i need an amp?
if yes, can recommend me a cheap and good one?

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
went for the CAL!

love the bass and how the sound was presented.
rather comfortable as well!

thanks everyone for recommendation.
one last thing to bother you guys, when im listening to the CALs on my mp3 ( Sony E445), do i need an amp?
if yes, can recommend me a cheap and good one?

great choice! and i feel that no amp is needed for it

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 20
I love the CAL's too.  Great headphones in their price range.  But I agree with ss2625 in that they don't really need an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back