Looking for closed air headphones <$200
Jun 27, 2005 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GoldWarlock

Head-Fier
Well,

head-fi helped me 3 years ago to pick my beloved Grados SR80.
I spent these 3 years with the music I love and I was VERY happy. They are perfectly working with no amp in the office, but....

I feel like I need to make another step or maybe two steps.

Step1: I need some closed air headphones for office. Preferably for <$200
I need something with Grado-like sound. I listen to 70's rock mostly. Led Zeppelin, Flod, Beatles. But I enjoy music from 90's as well: Soundgarde, Dream Theater, Radiohead. I'm open to buy new or used (but in a good shape) cans.

Step2: I'll need some amplifier, also in <$200 price range. But I'll have money for it later. But any adwise is appreciated. I mention this since this may affect the choice of the headphones.

Thank you.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldWarlock
Well,

head-fi helped me 3 years ago to pick my beloved Grados SR80.
I spent these 3 years with the music I love and I was VERY happy. They are perfectly working with no amp in the office, but....

I feel like I need to make another step or maybe two steps.

Step1: I need some closed air headphones for office. Preferably for <$200
I need something with Grado-like sound. I listen to 70's rock mostly. Led Zeppelin, Flod, Beatles. But I enjoy music from 90's as well: Soundgarde, Dream Theater, Radiohead. I'm open to buy new or used (but in a good shape) cans.

Step2: I'll need some amplifier, also in <$200 price range. But I'll have money for it later. But any adwise is appreciated. I mention this since this may affect the choice of the headphones.

Thank you.

I can't say any of these has "Grado-like sound", but they all work well with rock, IMHO (especially the Beyers):

Senn HD 280 -- ~$100 and you don't need an amp.

Beyer DT 250-80 or 250-250 (you need an amp for the 250 ohm version) -- you can get these for just over $150 at B&H photo

AKG 240 S (only semi-closed, so they will leak some sound) -- also ~$100.

As for the amps, there are alot of choices under $200. You can even do well with the pocket amp V2 for only $60. I would post over in the amps forum to learn more....

Hope this helps
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 6
gratefulshrink

I think that for $100 I'll buy Grado 80/125. I think nothing beats them in this price range.

My point was that I spent $100 once. Now I want to spend twice moer (maybe 2.5) to get some substancial increase in performace. Especially backed up by small (not portable) amp.

Is there anything like that?

p.s. Beyer 680 seems nice.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldWarlock
gratefulshrink

I think that for $100 I'll buy Grado 80/125. I think nothing beats them in this price range.

My point was that I spent $100 once. Now I want to spend twice moer (maybe 2.5) to get some substancial increase in performace. Especially backed up by small (not portable) amp.

Is there anything like that?

p.s. Beyer 680 seems nice.

If you want to stick with closed cans, you probably should think about Beyers......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back