Looking for Classical CIEMs
May 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Razgorth

New Head-Fier
Note: This is a blatant repost from the advice thread.

Recently I've been thinking about upgrading to a set of customs, and I'd like some recommendations as to what would suit my tastes.

My budget is in the $200-600 range, although I am willing to go higher if the sound is right. I primarily listen to classical music, with a focus on violin pieces, although my library runs the entire classical gamut, from full-blown symphonies to solo performances, with a large amount of piano/woodwind/brass concertos as well.

Currently, I own a pair of HF5s and a pair of B2s, both of which I enjoy a lot. I just came back from a trip to Japan, where I was able to audit a large amount of higher-end IEMs: most notably, I was very impressed with the soundstage of the IE8, something that I felt was always slightly lacking in the other two (the HF5 especially). I think my ideal sound signature would be a TWFK sound with the detail of an Ety and the soundstaging of the IE8: I'm looking for CIEMs that have good clarity, detail, and separation, with a broad soundstage. Ideally the sound should be neutral/balanced, although I am fine with some brighter highs/slightly boosted lows.

After doing some research, it seems that my primary choice should be the Cosmic Ears BA4. The sound signature sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, although I'm not entirely sure about the width of the soundstage (could someone comment further on this?). The only concern I have with this CIEM is the lack of reviews and the fact that Cosmic Ears is based in Sweden: as I am currently living in the States, I'm not sure how international shipment would work out (are there heavy customs duties to pay? how long is a typical shipping time?). The price is also a very tempting factor, as this is the only one within my ideal price range.

Other CIEMs that also seem to fit my criteria include the UERM, the JH13s, and the Alclair Reference. I'm also open to other suggestions as well. Thanks.

May 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 7
The UERMs seem to fit your exact description. From the demo that I listened to, the soundstage of the UERM was much bigger than my gr07's. I won't be able to comment more until I get my UERMs in about 2 weeks. If you don't mind waiting, try going to a head-fi meet that UE is also attending, that way you can get 20% off and you'll get to try them out.

May 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Recently I've been thinking about upgrading to a set of customs, and I'd like some recommendations as to what would suit my tastes.

My budget is in the $200-600 range, although I am willing to go higher if the sound is right. I primarily listen to classical music, with a focus on violin pieces, although my library runs the entire classical gamut, from full-blown symphonies to solo performances, with a large amount of piano/woodwind/brass concertos as well.

Currently, I own a pair of HF5s and a pair of B2s, both of which I enjoy a lot. I just came back from a trip to Japan, where I was able to audit a large amount of higher-end IEMs: most notably, I was very impressed with the soundstage of the IE8, something that I felt was always slightly lacking in the other two (the HF5 especially). I think my ideal sound signature would be a TWFK sound with the detail of an Ety and the soundstaging of the IE8: I'm looking for CIEMs that have good clarity, detail, and separation, with a broad soundstage. Ideally the sound should be neutral/balanced, although I am fine with some brighter highs/slightly boosted lows.

After doing some research, it seems that my primary choice should be the Cosmic Ears BA4. The sound signature sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, although I'm not entirely sure about the width of the soundstage (could someone comment further on this?). The only concern I have with this CIEM is the lack of reviews and the fact that Cosmic Ears is based in Sweden: as I am currently living in the States, I'm not sure how international shipment would work out (are there heavy customs duties to pay? how long is a typical shipping time?). The price is also a very tempting factor, as this is the only one within my ideal price range.

Other CIEMs that also seem to fit my criteria include the UERM, the JH13s, and the Alclair Reference. I'm also open to other suggestions as well. Thanks.

I agree about UERM. It has great sound stage as well as placement. Perfectly suits classical. I would stay away from JH13 for classical music.

Also, if you are on budget, you should look at UM's Mage. BA4 seems nice too, but I haven't heard much about it.

In sound stage, you should also look in to up/down as well as total width and porportion. Placement would be key for classical as well.

May 10, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Considering your budget, the Ambient Monitors AM4 pro fits what you are looking for and I think it outperforms its price.  International shipping is no problem.  The Alclair Reference is good, but warmer (and further from the TWFK IEMs listed) than the AM4 pro.  The RSM is a step up in every way from the Reference.

Moving up the price chain, the Rooth LS6, IERM, Dream Earz aud-8X, and Hidition NT-6 are good options, all with different strengths.
LS6: Very neutral, detailed, and liquid for an extremely musical yet revealing presentation but not as spacious as the IERM.
IERM: Very spacious with the TWFK type sound you are looking for, but not as refined or smooth as the others.
aud-8X: Moving away from the others sound signature wise, it is still quite neutral, but not as bright with a little bit thicker sound, however it is still excellent overall and very dynamic, especially for the price.  I think the others are a better sound signature fit, but I am impressed with the 8X, and it isn't all that far off in SS in the grand scheme of things.  Plus, it is cheaper.
NT-6: Extremely clear with a very high level of detail and resolution, but not as spacious as the IERM.

As far as the Miracle, from what I know (I only have the PP6), it has a spacios U-shaped sound signature that is quite liquid and fun.  It would be excellent for large symphony performances, but individual violin pieces I think the NT-6 would be best if you wanted to hear the detail and be right in front of the musician and instrument.  The LS6 is an amazing all-arounder, but I can't speak for just how good the performance since I only heard a demo.  Also, back to your original budget, the AM4 pro is very capable and would perform well with your music, especially if you have a good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back