looking for cheap closed cans
Mar 31, 2003 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
My roommate has a set of generic open-headphones and they leak so much sound that when i have my headphones on i can often hear his over mine. When I have my headphones off I am right there with him listening to absolutely every note of every song. They leak an incredible amount of sound.

If anyone can recommend a cheap (ie well below $30) set of closed headphones i would greatly appreciate it

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 22
Closed. Circumaural or Supra? I don't know a lot of cheap closed headphones that sound
good. Maybe try some Jensen cheapoes at Best-Buy or something.

Oh and what kind of headphones does your friend have, just out of curiosity.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 22
they are...i believe...Ministry of Sound. They were cheapies at best buy or target or something. I assure you, the quality of the closed headphones wouldn't have to be really good, just as long as they sound reasonable and don't leak sooo much sound.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 22
Well I used to have Jensen's I bought at Future Shop (Canadian store only I believe).
They looked a bit like HD-280 but they obviously were a lot cheaper but they isolated
very well and sounded uh.. I can't remember. Probably not that bad. You might want to check that out.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
My roommate has a set of generic open-headphones and they leak so much sound that when i have my headphones on i can often hear his over mine. When I have my headphones off I am right there with him listening to absolutely every note of every song. They leak an incredible amount of sound.

If anyone can recommend a cheap (ie well below $30) set of closed headphones i would greatly appreciate it

Cheap around here is less than $200.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 22
Honostly, cheap closed cans that don't suck really don't exist. The best thing that i can think of is the koss UR 20's or 30's, both don't sound great, but don't leak much

That, or you could just bite the bullet and get some etys
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
*cough* SNOB *cough*

Yo-uns talkin' t' me? Hell, they's guys on this hyear list what gots set-ups dat 'ould shame mine, and rightful so! I's jus a porr country lad what los' 'is teef!

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Honostly, cheap closed cans that don't suck really don't exist. The best thing that i can think of is the koss UR 20's or 30's, both don't sound great, but don't leak much

That, or you could just bite the bullet and get some etys
wink.gif

Hrm. I was going to recommend UR-XX.. UR-40 maybe, but they aren't closed (although
he could probably make them leak much less with a little mod-ing). You should try a
couple of pairs before buying. Always the thing to do plus you'll know what you'll prefer
(fit, sound, looks, etc).

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

I forgot the exact model name at this moment, but the Phillips HD??? may be the answer. I got a pair a while back and they work great! Honestly, they look like silver eggos. I *think* you can find them at Fry's and Target.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Scrape together $80 and get MDR-V6 Sony's.

Mar 31, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 22
hehe, $200 is kinda exagerrating theere juuust a bit
wink.gif
, I think $70 would be a nice price to set "cheap" since thats where your sr60 and v6 comes into play. Anyway, your options are low for under $30 closed...and the only thing I can think of in that exact range and fits your criteria is the sennheiser hd202 that you can get from a local CompUSA these days. I let my roommate use it so I can stick with open phones
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back