Looking for beginner audiophile headphones....
Oct 31, 2009 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tsujigiri

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm by no means an audiophile, but I'm starting to get into better sound, and am now looking for an entry-level set of headphones that have the kind of sound true audiophiles appreciate. With some time, maybe I'll be able to tell the difference. The last time I posted here, I was recommended Altec-Lansing 336 earbuds, which I got and soon realized that my Creative EP-630s have way too much bass and not enough detail. I used to think my Sony XB700's sounded normal too. I still like some bass emphasis, but I want something with a true sound now. The most recommended headphones seem to be the Grado 60i's, but I now see a lot of recommendations for Alessandro MS1's. Then there are the 80i's too.... I've combed through a lot of info on this site, but I'm not really understanding it. Which pair would be ideal for primarily rock music? Thank you....

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 10
Go for Grado SR60i. One of the best headphones.

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture3851-grado-sr60.jpg

Click:Grado SR 60i - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsujigiri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most recommended headphones seem to be the Grado 60i's, but I now see a lot of recommendations for Alessandro MS1's. Then there are the 80i's too.... I've combed through a lot of info on this site, but I'm not really understanding it. Which pair would be ideal for primarily rock music? Thank you....

It depends on what sound you like. IMO the Grado 60 have plastickey highs and a little too much bass for rock music making the SR80 a much better option.
The MS1 is based on the SR125 I think, except that it is more balanced making it an excellent choice for people outside of america.

IMO the MS1 is the best option in your case.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 10
What are you going to drive these headphones with? Many portable sources are weak and in a lot of cases you can get better sound by diverting some of your budget to an amp (even something as inexpensive as a $25 Fiio E5) and getting a more modest headphone rather than putting everything towards a headphone.

That said, I join MrGreen in being un-thrilled with the highs of the SR60 (disclaimer: I haven't heard the newest version of it, which may have improved here). I like the MS1 much better. (I can't speak to the tradeoffs between the MS1 and the 80i.)

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 10
One more vote for the MS1. I wouldn't say that they are very picky with source and amplification though.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 10
The Grado SR60s were my first jump into head-fi. I still have fond memories.

However, they will lead you to that slippery slope once you realize how much better things can be.

I'd get the 80i if your budget allows, the 60i otherwise. The good thing about Grado is, once you decide to upgrade, the resale value on them is very good. It will be an inexpensive trial for you.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Koss UR40. Huge steal at their price range. I got them for $30, but they seem to normally go for around $40.

Extremely good headphones, especially if you close them (I don't like the hallow airy sound that provides a larger soundstage...just me I guess).

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 10
The Grado SR80i was my first jump into headphone audio. I suggest you give that or the MS1 a shot. Or KSC75, also known as the gateway drug.

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 10
After listening to my MS1i, I would have to say they are way better than the SR125, SR80 and SR60 by far. However, depending on market, there are plenty of headphones around the $100 range. ATH-M50, ATH-ES7, D1001 even the T50RP are great choices.

The MS1i are great for rock, good highs, very good mids and punchy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back