Looking for around-the-ear headphones below 100€
Sep 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Willzyx

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I'm looking for new headphones I'd mainly use at home for gaming (all kinds of things and genres) and music (mostly rock and electronic stuff).
I really only want around-the-ear headphones because I'm used to them and they're so comfortable to wear during longer sessions of use. It's not that noisy where I plan to use them so they don't have to shut out all outside noises completely.

Ideally I'd like to use them for skyping as well, so I'd probably prefer if there was a mic attached, but if not I guess I could use an external microphone, too, although it'd be nice if someone could recommend a decent cheap mic as well then, because I really don't know anything in that department.

My budget is set at around or below 100€ and I hope there'll be something that fits my needs. I've looked around a bit and read reviews and the relevant guides here but the breadth of choices and possibilities is honestly quite overwhelming, so I wanted to open my own thread still so I could maybe get a bit more personalized advice.

Sorry if this isn't particularly special or exciting or audiophile but this forum was recommended to me as THE go-to place for headphone discussion so I'd never pass up the chance to ask you. :)

Plus, I've really only had relatively crappy stuff before and now I'd like to have something that provides good audio quality while still being affordable (and durable).

I'm in Germany if that helps with prices or anything.

Thank you!

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 6
The Creative Aurvana Live! Would probably be a great choice for you. They go for under $100 so I assume they'd be under 100 Euros. They're circumaural (around the ear) and have a great reputation for performance in the price range. As for sound signiature, they're not lacking in bass nor overly bassy so they'll play well with both rock and electronic.

edit- Another one you could consider in your price range is the Skullcandy Aviator.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks a lot for the advice. How's the quality on the Creative Aurvana Live? Like, I've heard a bunch about Creative products not being that durable and breaking earlier than other brands? Did they remedy that or is it a false perception? The reviews certainly sound good, but I haven't found  much about how good they are in the long(er) run.

And yeah, they're certainly in the price range, can get them for around 70€ so that'd be good.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 6
I honestly don't know, I've never used them, they're just a good headphone in the price range that I would look into if I was in the market. However, in my experience durability depends on what you're using them for and how well you look after your things. Since, from what I've gathered from your post, you're using them at home I would think that durability wouldn't be the highest priority (but I don't how well you look after your things). 

Tyl Hertsens (Really respected guy in the headphone community) describes them as having a somewhat "delicate" design, meaning they probably won't stand up to a lot of abuse, but doesn't think they're poorly built for the price (materials etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back