Looking for an upgrade to: RE-ZERO/Sunrise Xcape and RE262
Feb 20, 2014 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm getting back into the audio game and wanted to rehaul my IEM collection. I'm currently using the original VSonic GR07, which is pretty good, but a little sibilant and slightly recessed in the mids, which I don't like. Two IEMs whose sound signatures I'd like to return to are the venerable RE-ZERO/Sunrise Xcape and the RE262. For the RE-ZERO upgrade, I'd be looking for something with a little more bass impact, but keeping basically everything else the same. The RE262 had great musicality, mids, and "fluidity", but was missing a little bit of extension at the lower and upper ends. They could use a little more neutrality, as well.

Other requirements:
The top end of my budget is roughly $150.
Needs to be comfortable! Small and short housings. No Etymotic (i.e. ER4P) or old Ultimate Ears style (i.e. Triple.Fi), both kinds stick out and hurt my ear canals.
Ideally able to be worn both down and up, although mandatory up is fine.
Would like to stay away from TWFK-based armatures unless they're part of a dual system. I've listened to several TWFK-based IEMs and never liked any of them much, there was just never enough bass impact.

Anyone have any choices? I've only found the RE400 as an upgrade from the old RE-ZERO but haven't really found anything that improves on the RE262 within my budget. Does it exist? Since it's been a couple years I'm unaware of what new options are available aside from those reviewed in Joker's thread.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back