Looking for an Internet filter
Dec 30, 2006 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. As my kids have started to use a few websites, I want to find a suitable filter software for them. There seem to be different products, some based on detecting bad IPs, some analyzing content and so on. What I am looking for is a software that blocks ALL websites except the ones defined as allowed. It should also be user account based, so my and my wife's accounts would have normal access and the kids' one would be restricted. The OS is XP Pro. I'd also prefer a free or cheap software.
wink.gif

Any suggestions? Thanks!

P.S. I'm asking about a software, so please no rants about if children should be allowed to use the net in the first place or if the parents should be there all the time.

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm to recommend a filter would be to define what is obscene, or what is worthy of filtering.

Nope, got nothing there...

Though some people might say that what one interprets as obscene is merely what one is forbidden from seeing and therefore not otherwise understanding in a proper context.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, but I don't really see how philosophical pondering like that is going to help. I just want a software that let's ME decide what sites are suitable for MY kids.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k9 works well and is free. There's also a program called naomi, but i think it would close my itunes.

Thanks. Does the K9 have the option to allow just certain sites? I tried to install it yesterday, but there were two problems. First, it didn't seem to be compatible with my software firewall (F-Secure). Second, there didn't seem to be an option to use the filter just for one account, so it affected all the accounts.

I'll have to take a look at this Naomi.

EDIT: thanks to 450 too, however, the link seems to be to the same K9 which unfortunately does not seem to do the trick for me.

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 7
As K9 did not work in my system, I ended up installing Naomi. I could make it affect only one user profile, but unfortunately it doesn't have the option to allow only preselected sites. Well, it's surely better than nothing but I'm still open to suggestions. Any1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back