LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVES TO BEATS BY DRE STUDIO... PLEASE ADVISE.... GOOD BASS!!!
Oct 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

emin007

New Head-Fier
Hi I lisented to the Beats Studio by Dre and the bass was crazy!  It was a little too bright for my taste but the bass extention was one of the best I've heard.  Was looking for a comparable can with comparable bass or better!  with a little more refined tonal quality to them.  If you have any suggestions please let me know asap because I need to make a purchase soooon.   I had the Audio Technica's M50s and they were great but the bass was not as strong as the Beats and the deal killer was the head band which was way! tooo tight and gave me head pressure.  So with all that said I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for my next cans.  I want to stay under $300 market (street) price.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 15
Tried the Beyer's 770's and they were a little too bright for me, and the bass extension was no where close to the Audio Tech's or close to the Dre's.. I presume the BDdt48 is close to the 770's in tonal qualities? 
And to be more specific are the ultrasones 580's real authoritative in the bass category?

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 15
You found the DT770s too bright
confused.gif
confused.gif
Maybe you should just get the Dre's..

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Senns aren't bright and have good bass... 300 bux you can get some serious

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 15
By good bass, what do you mean? What is most important? Bass extension? Bass quantity? Bass impact? Tight bass? etc etc. Good bass in my books is something like that of the DT880. Tight, deep and controlled. I hate the Denon D5000 bass (wayyyyyyyyy too much of it). 

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 15
Hmmm best way I can explain it is like my single 12" Image Dynamics in a sealed closed box running 1250 WRMS!!! Hits hard, tight, low and then its gone as fast as it came!  It's not as loud as a few 15's but its more accurate and musical.  I need a pair of cans that can duplicate what I'm getting in my car... on my head (if that makes sense?)...

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 15
I can't really see how the Beats are like that. I have heard them and didn't really like them too much. Of course, I didn't spend more than a minute with them on, as i put them lower on the ladder than BOSE and apple iBuds (mainly because ignorant people buy them thinking they are the best headphone on the market). 

I am thinking an Ultrasone would be to your liking, but they can be bright, just like Denons (both are highly regarded for bass). 

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 15
I think the Shure SRH750DJ's are the best alternative to Beats. The Shures have the best bass I've heard in a headphone so far. Very tight and detailled.
I've never heard any Ultrasone though, people seem to like their bass as well.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 15
If you want big punchy bass and smooth highs then XB500 is for you especially if you think DT770 are too bright, Ultrasones would probably have the bass you're looking for but would be too bright as well and there's a chance you'd concider Denons to be as well. There doesn't exist many choices with lots of bass with smooth highs, a bassier (closed) Sennheiser HD650 had been optimal if such existed. There has been some users going from Beats to the cheap XB500 for $50 and actually liked them though so don't completely disregard the option cuz of the price.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back