Looking for a watch - $1000
Feb 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kodreaming

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a watch in $1000 range.
I don't have any brand preference at this point, but ideally a classical look with leather wristband.

Thanks !

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 27
Are you willing to consider vintage watches? You'd have a hard time going wron with an Omega Constellation.

If you really want a classic look, consider a used IWC or a Zenith. Wonderful quality with both and they truly hold their value.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 27
Tbe Stowa Marine original is just about at the limit of your budget depeding on the day:

b16.jpg

This is a hand wound watch with no date.

If you want an automatic watch with a date, the Marine Auto is well within your budget:

b10.jpg

STOWA

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 27
I recommend you look at the Hamilton Jazzmaster line.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 27
watchuseek.com is a great resource. Good luck with your search!

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 27
If you don't have any particular brand in mind still, have you ever considered a custom made watch? A friend of mine is a watchmaker, and I could put you in contact if you were interested. Just throwing that out there.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #14 of 27
Dont get a Movado. I have had 3 brake on me. They dont hold up even only being a dress up watch and the cost of the repairs is almost as much as the watch new. I wont be buying any more of those.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 27
Why would Movado repairs be expensive? They don't even have mechanical movements, it probably costs $5 for a new quartz movement. Although IIRC they have a couple of automatic watches in their lineup at the very high end.

I'd second the Stowa suggestion!! They are amazing. I have an Antea Kleine Sekunde, and even though I have the spare cash to upgrade to my dream watch (Omega Speedmaster) these days, I have a hard time letting go of the Antea. It's very understated and retro-looking.

I've always been interested in the Marine Original Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back