Looking for a specific headphone.
May 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier
Right now, my main set of cans are my sr60s. They are a fun and enjoyable listen, but there are a few things I would like to see changed/improved. Basically, I'm looking for something that, while it isn't warm or full of midbass bloat, has audible and visceral sub bass. When listening to Mahler for instance, I want to feel as much as hear the music. I'd also want something with a bit more soundstage. Not necessarily 20 rows back, but if it could push me off the stage and into the first or second row that would be nice. And finally, every now the sr60s are a bit harsh. I love the nice treble sparkle and shimmer, but would certainly like my next purchase to be without said harshness.

I'd prefer to keep it under $200, but if there's something that perfectly matches the above criteria but costs more, feel free to mention it. I suppose I can always wait and save up a bit more. Conversely, if there is something cheap that sounds like it has the sound signature I'm looking for, feel free to mention it as well, even if it isn't the most technically superior headphone out there.

May 21, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 11
Bumping for even more advice.
wink.gif

May 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 11
It sounds like you might be looking for some Beyerdynamics.  They have a really nice high end, but as long as you stay away from the 770/990 pros, they aren't harsh on the high end.  They tend to have excellent bass--my DT150s have an awe-inspiring low end without ever overwhelming the rest of the frequency range.  They have a nice wide soundstage as well.  All Beyers that I've heard tend to be bright rather than warm.

If you are still looking for something open, that's tougher, but the DT 990s might be exactly what you're looking for if you can feed them the power they are looking for.

It would be worth looking into some of the German Maestro cans as well.  I suspect you might be extremely happy with one of them for classical music.

May 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
It sounds like you might be looking for some Beyerdynamics.

yup.
the dt990 / 600 ohm doesn't get tons of love on this forum, but sounds like the headphone you are looking for.
i haven't heard the dt770 / 600 ohm, but it is a closed headphone.  so i'm not sure if the soundstage, then, would be as good as that of the dt990.

for bass impact AND soundstage, those would be hard to beat...

from what i've read, you may want to look at the denons, ultrasones, and audio technica w1000x.
all are considered cans with nice bass, nice treble, and good soundstaging.

May 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the advice, I'll go do some reading. Also, I'm assuming the 600 ohm beyers would require a dedicated amplifier, correct? My TBAAM is capable of driving 300 ohm headphones, but I doubt it could do the same adequately with 600.

May 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Then I'll look even more closely at the DT/880 600 ohm. Just two questions. The first is, how do the mids sound in relation to the rest of the audio spectrum? I like forward mids, but balanced is fine as well. I just don't enjoy when they are recessed.  And secondly, how do they reproduce timbre? This is a hard question (and too many people seem to ignore it), but it's definitely something I value.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

May 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 11
if you're looking for a more forward mid, but with a nice punchy bass, the only thing that comes to mind is the w1000x.
from what i've read.

the beyers, whether dt880 or dt990, have a very polite midrange. 
they do nothing wrong in the mids, but they certainly aren't forward.  and it's certainly not their strength.

May 22, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Ouch.
eek.gif

Is there, perhaps, something that has my preferred sound signature and is closer to budget? Otherwise I'll likely be saving up for a good while longer.

May 23, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 11
I know they are FOTM, but what about the m50s? They lack the added soundstage, but they sound like they have good sub-bass without bloated mid-bass. Do they also have neutral or forward mids with some treble shimmer?

May 23, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 11
the m50 has fantastic bass that digs very low, mids slightly recessed, decent highs but not super extended. soundstage is decent for a closed headphone. most peeps that try them love them, they are a gem at their price. a bit more neutral signature would be a shure srh440, doesnt have the bass oomph of the m50, but does better in mids. also a bargain at its price. both are semi-ez to drive

you might even be happy with the jvc ha-rx700 (35$!)

p.s. you really need a strong amp for 600 ohm headphones to shine 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back