Looking for a replacement for my Bose Around-Ear Triports
Apr 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

personnamedmatt

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head Fi Forumers.  As you can probably see, I'm brand new around here, so you'll just have to hang on for a while as I get used to things...
rolleyes.gif

I've been looking for a good pair of headphones, and am really considering the Sennheiser HD 595's.  Right now, I have a pair of Bose Around-Ear Headphones, and they just don't cut it anymore.  I always thought I'd get used to their lack of bass, and that other cans wouldn't be much better, but that was a long time ago, and the best they can even think of mustering for me is an undefined low rumble.  I want something that has bass with some real power behind it - more of a boom than a low humm. 

I really like the of the HD 598's (yes, some people actually like how they look), and they seem to be getting great reviews.  I don't know whether or not they'll give me the bass that I want, though... does anyone have any recommendations?  I was looking at the AKG K272 HD's and a pair of Grado SR225i's as well... they all seem like good cans for the money.  Don't take my bass needs the wrong way, though - I want something that will be as accurate as possible; I'd rather color them through the EQ than the actual hardware.

I have a budget of around $200-240, and want basically the best that I can get for the money.  I'm really at a loss as to what would fit me the best, though - I really have no experience whatsoever with basically any other brand.  I do have an Auzen X-Fi Forte sound card to drive them, though, so go ahead and suggest whatever you see fit - I'm sure it will be able to handle it.  I hope.

Any suggestions?
Much appreciated,
-Matt

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Wow.  Thanks for the fast responses.  I like these forums already...
beerchug.gif

Anyway...

@desktophifi
I do a bit of gaming in my spare time, but I'd have to say that it isn't a top priority.  If I can find a pair that will make both my music and games sound exceptional, then I'll consider it an added bonus. 
Hmm... music tastes... that's a tough one.  When I want to hear someone actually singing, I'll give it to rock.  All other times I'll pull something out of my OST collection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9EONXh6cQU
Actually, there's a good reference point.  If it can play that track, and play it well, then it will be able to handle just about anything else that I have.  Sorry for YouTube's awful audio quality, if you actually want to listen to that.
And about whether I want real bass or a balanced set of headphones.  Somewhere inbetween, actually.  I don't want something that will feel like a bottom-firing subwoofer and nothing else (ie, Dr. Dre, from what I've heard), but more like a balanced, uncolored pair with a slight emphasis on bass.  I can do any colorization in an equalizer if I want, instead of the actual headphones.  I hope that makes sense...
@Sayex
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to keep looking into those.  Only problem is that I can't find anywhere that sells them.  I'll have to go read some reviews and see how people like them.

Much appreciated, guys.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 7
If your looking for quality and your budget is 240'ish I say get some Beyer DT770 premium 32 or 80 ohm (proaudiostar.com for the best price 209.00 not tax free shipping I got mine (dt 990 600 ohms) there quick (from NY im in Cali) awesome experience)

I have the Shure 840's as well I really like them, they are no Beyers! if you decide to go with these get them from electronics expo use the code LSDA0404 %48 off makes them $129 but move fast the stock on these GOES QUICK!!! code is good until the end of the month.

Audio Technica M50 is also awesome 119.00 no tax+free shipping from B&H the build quality is not the best but you'll be hard pressed to beat the sound for the money. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 7
I'll be sure to take all of your responses into consideration - I just spend a good two hours looking at all of the different cans that have been suggested.  I came across something I really, really liked, though - the Denon AH-D1100's.  According to most reviews, the bass they put out can be almost overpowering, which is exactly what I want; I can equalize it down if it's too much for me, but I doubt that will be the case.  They look really great, too, and seem to be comfortable from what people are saying.  Only thing I'd like better would be if they had velvet ear pads, but that's just being picky.  Anyone have any opinion on these? ...would they be much different than the M50's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back