Looking for a really nice headphone for classical music.
Mar 2, 2015 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Armament

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys. I'm in the market for a headphone that pairs amazingly with classical music and more vocal music. I currently have an LCD-2 non-fazor which we all know is a darker sounding headphone. I have around $1,000 to spend. My current amp and DAC are a Schiit Mjolnir and a Sonore exD USB DAC. I've been stalking the for sale forums pretty often but don't really see anything that jumps out at me. I'm leaning towards the HD-800 but I'm not completely sure yet. Any ideas fellas?

This may be in the wrong place, deleting and moving. 

EDIT: I guess I can't delete it. If someone can move it that would be fantastic.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 11
  Hello guys. I'm in the market for a headphone that pairs amazingly with classical music and more vocal music. I currently have an LCD-2 non-fazor which we all know is a darker sounding headphone. I have around $1,000 to spend. My current amp and DAC are a Schiit Mjolnir and a Sonore exD USB DAC. I've been stalking the for sale forums pretty often but don't really see anything that jumps out at me. I'm leaning towards the HD-800 but I'm not completely sure yet. Any ideas fellas?

EDIT: I guess I can't delete it. If someone can move it that would be fantastic.

I dont think you can get better than the HD800 for something like classical, if you can find one used - would be a good compliment to your LCD2s.  Another option would be the HE-560, and have some extra cash left over. 

That or save up for a STAX set or something, or wait until the HE-1000 prices are released (but i dont think theyll be under 2k) 

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 11

I dont think you can get better than the HD800 for something like classical, if you can find one used - would be a good compliment to your LCD2s.  Another option would be the HE-560, and have some extra cash left over. 

That or save up for a STAX set or something, or wait until the HE-1000 prices are released (but i dont think theyll be under 2k) 

Yeah, I was looking at the HE-560s. They aren't too expensive on here. I kind of wish I didn't buy a Mjolnir because I have to buy extra cables and such. The STAX SR-009 will be owned by me here in 3 months :). Thanks for confirming what I thought then. I will set my eyes on a pair of HD-800s for sure now. Is it only worth it to get a newer s/n though? I've seen people say that the newer ones like 3xxxx sound a lot better.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 11
  Yeah, I was looking at the HE-560s. They aren't too expensive on here. I kind of wish I didn't buy a Mjolnir because I have to buy extra cables and such. The STAX SR-009 will be owned by me here in 3 months :). Thanks for confirming what I thought then. I will set my eyes on a pair of HD-800s for sure now. Is it only worth it to get a newer s/n though? I've seen people say that the newer ones like 3xxxx sound a lot better.

That backwave damping Anax mod apparently takes the HD800 to the next level - at least tames the brightness a tad and smoothes it out? Thats what i hear at least. 

But with the detail extraction and soundstage of the HD800 - not sure what can beat it for classical ~$1K 

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 11

I was also on the look out for cans especially for Classical. I chose the Beyerdynamic DT 800 Premium 600 Ohm.

I chose them based an a rather flat FR graph and the ability to pair well with my Schiit Valhalla 2. 

They should be here by the end of the week.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 11

I never thought of doing a comparison graph.........until now. I'm even happier I chose the DT 880s.
L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 11
  I'm still fairly new at this and don't really understand the graphs much :p

It's just interesting to notice the similarity of the Frequency Response graphs of both HPs. It is very similar. Of course this is only one metric to be measured. But I'm happy to see my choice, the DT880 / 600 have a response so close to the HD 880s.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 11
  It's just interesting to notice the similarity of the Frequency Response graphs of both HPs. It is very similar. Of course this is only one metric to be measured. But I'm happy to see my choice, the DT880 / 600 have a response so close to the HD 800s.

Ah, yeah. That's definitely a good sign!

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back