Looking for a portable system for the ride to work via bus
May 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

will1258

Head-Fier
I take the bus about 2 hours a day too and from work. I currently use a sansa c100 express and some creative ep-630 plugs but I want more sound.

I listen to mostly hip-hop, reggae and R&B and I like bass/deep sounds.

I was thinking of getting the fiido e5/ some m50's and just keep my mp3 player since I hear it's not that bad.

I want some portable headphones that completely silent since this is the bus I'm on and I don't want people complaining of my music.

I bought the MT-21's temporarily but I think I wasted money, it hasn't came yet but I hear it's not completely closed.

To make a long story short, a closed over or on ear portable headphone, a decent amp that cost under 100 bucks.. E5 vs E7 and I prefer some stylish looking headphones that's not huge and takes up half my face like the 202's.

Thanks...

May 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 18
if you have a small to medium size head AKG K518 DJ/LE are good, they isolate well and have a very nice low end, some very nice punch. And no need for an amp. But as you have a higher budget i dont know. I'll leave it to others.

May 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 18
Years ago I tried a number of full sized headphones for my subway commute.  I tried all of the best isolating headphones at the time and none isolated well enough that I didn't have to turn the volume up to hear the music.  I eventually gave up and use in ears.  From what I've read, no headphone has come out that beats the isolation of the HD280 Pro or HD25-1, both of which were not good enough.

IMO, in ears or active noise cancellation are the only things that work well enough for noisy mass transit commutes or airplanes.

Edit:  Full sized headphones that provide any isolation at all, in general clamp very hard and can be uncomfortable for some people in a very short time.

Edit 2:  I haven't read what the isolation is like on the Sony XB series.  Those big pillows may provide good isolation without clamping hard.  I just put some XB700 pads on a pair of my vintage orthos.  I can check tonight to see how well it isolates.  I also bought an $20 refurbished XB500 for the pads.  I ended up buying the XB700 pads from someone here after ordering the XB500 so I haven't taken the pads off them.  I'll check to see how well it isolates too.

May 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 18
i think the OP mainly wants headphones that dont leak too much, and i go on a bus everyday full of students and the panasonic rp-htx7 and AKG's both isolate enough. Active noise cancelling lowers SQ i've heard.

May 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 18
Most closed headphones don't leak that much if at all.  You would have to crank it to hearing damaging levels with with anything that provides isolation for them to leak.  At the levels I listen, most open headphones don't leak that much.  If the bus is noisy, which most are, and the headphones don't isolate, you end up turning up the volume to hear the music over background noise.  That's not good. 

The Audio Technica noise canceling headphones sound pretty good.

May 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 18
If you use triflange or foam tips, the worst isolation, nonvented, in ears, isolate better than the best isolating full sized headphones.  I'd suggest looking at ljokerl's thread of IEM and the other on portables.  The $100 ones I have experience with aren't all that bassy.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-164-iems-compared-ortofon-e-q5-etymotic-mc5-added-04-28

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-78-portable-headphones-reviewed-sennheiser-px90-px100-ii-added-04-17

May 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 18
LOL, I wish you luck.  I got very frustrated looking for good isolation.  When I bought my sound meter, I measured the sound on my subway ride home.  The average background noise in a station without a train was 80dB.  With a train 100dB with it coming in,  90dB with it sitting in the station.  On the train 90-105 dB with peaks of 115dB.  When I measured that, I realized why no full sized headphone worked.  Most IEMs are barely adequate.

When I really need good isolation, like mowing the lawn, I use my Westone 1, which isolates between 15-20dB and 30dB isolation ear muffs over them.  It pretty much cuts the lawn mower to lower than typical background noise.

May 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 18
No love for the IEM at all? If you want 'more' sound without blowing your eardrums out, scompton has been quite clear about it.
wink.gif

May 4, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 18
Yeah, the HT-21 might as well be an open can, but it's not a waste of money. I haven't gotten around to posting my impressions but at the $35 amazon price (or lower... i paid $24) it's great bang for the buck.

Back on topic: The best isolation I've found is from Balanced Armature IEMs that can use some form of deep insertion triflange or foam tip. The Dynamic IEMs I've used all were ported so isolation was never as good as a BA (but still decent). Just search the forum and mega-review threads for a Bassy BA, get some foam tips, and you should be set.

May 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 18
I understand why some people are leary about stuffing something in their ear.  Some people really can't because of the pain it causes.  I've owned some IEMs that caused unbearable pain after 15 minutes, no mater what tip I used.  Right now, I'm struggling to find a tip that works for me with the DBA-2.  No foam tips really fit, I've destroyed 4 trying to get them off.  The only thing that seams to seal are big triflange tips but they're not too comfortable. 

May 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
I understand why some people are leary about stuffing something in their ear.  Some people really can't because of the pain it causes.  I've owned some IEMs that caused unbearable pain after 15 minutes, no mater what tip I used.  Right now, I'm struggling to find a tip that works for me with the DBA-2.  No foam tips really fit, I've destroyed 4 trying to get them off.  The only thing that seams to seal are big triflange tips but they're not too comfortable. 

Has the tri-flanges broken in yet? It takes awhile to get used to them... but once you have, the tri-flanges are the best tips for the DBA-02, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back