Looking for a pair of good speakers for my laptop
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I saw a deal for M-Audio AV40 for $100, is this the best speaker for this price range? I have a Lenovo laptop (3.5mm output) that I want to connect to a pair of speakers for watching movies (I don't listen to music), would you guys recommend this speakers? Would there be anything better below $150? (that's about the max I can do at this moment)

Thanks from an old Head-Fi'er

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 14
They also have Studiophile BX5a Deluxe for $199, but it's a little bit out of my budget. 

Since it is designed for near-field listening, can it be used in a big classroom with students sitting 10-15 feet away from them?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 14
IMO, near-field monitors sound best carefully aimed at your noggin from fairly close range . . . and thus have a fairly small sweet spot. A pair of comparably priced bookshelf speakers will probably be more to your class' liking. For your purposes, a used receiver and some bookshelf speakers might be better; but I don't think the monitors are going to sound terrible relative to many of the other alternatives.

That said, I know someone that sort of haphazardly placed a pair of monitors in their garage's rafters and is happy enough with the sound. I wasn't so impressed, but politely kept my thoughts to myself . . . and the effect is kind of interesting. The speakers are sort of placed back-to-back and firing to the front and back of the garage.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 14
Have you got an external DAC? I have a lenovo laptop, and the 3.5mm output is pretty bad. I've heard that the Fiio E10 is a good choice. The speakers will really reach their full potential with a decent source (assuming you are using loosless files etc).

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah, I have been through that stage many years before. But surely Head-fi makes you feel sorry about your wallet. Just for the record, I ordered Yulong D100 DAC. :D I figure a good system is always nice to have and can provide high level of enjoyment for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back