Looking for a non-leaking closed headphone with a clean balanced signature under $50.
Apr 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 32
yeah, I not going to get those. Thanks for your comments though. Let's narrow these down guys. How bout a clean, neutral sound that doesn't need to be closed. Don't worry about leakage anymore. That should open your search.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
Do the velvour pads for the rp htf600 change the sound into a more balanced signature? I might get those but, I think the promenient bass will still be there. I'm looking for a can that loves everything the same. lows, mids and highs.

I honestly don't find the panasonic's that bass heavy. The mids sound a bit recessed, but the bass can definitely do with more "Omph". I can't really play immersive games with it because the bass is so anemic compared to my Turtlebeach X41's. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
Remember, I'm looking for a clean sounding headphone that is great for rock and blues. Is a grado a good choice? What is the best grado in this price range?

Haven't heard the SR60i's but the SR80i's sounded great. Really fun headphone although it feels cheaper than the panny's

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
@RayleighSilvers

Those Panny's are on my all time list of disliked headphones.  Though I did actually find a second set that was worse recently.  I originally thought only the Sony MDR V150's were worse, but I'm adding the JVC HA-RX300 as another that really stinks it up.  One of my relatives has that JVC and let me borrow them for a while.  Whoof.

The panny's do sound terrible if you switch straight from a higher headphone, but once your ears get used to them they sound perfectly fine for the price.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 32
The only Grado's in this price range are the iGrado portables.  They use the drivers from the SR60i and the sound quality is excellent.  I have the SR60i and I love them for rock and many other genres, but Grado's are very much a hit or miss proposition.  Some people don't like their sound at all.  You cannot describe them as a neutral set.  There is a definite emphasis on the upper mids and treble.

The other issue is comfort.  Every review I've ever seen of the iGrado portable set complains about comfort levels. 

Since you've taken the lid off (allowing open or semi open backs), you should look at the Samson 850 or Superlux 688b.  They will be brighter than the Panasonics you have now, but are not entirely neutral either.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 32
How about the Samson SR850? I don't have any personal experiences with them but from what I've read, they seem to be neutral sounding, and meet your budget. You might want to look more into them.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 32
http://www.amazon.com/Jvc-Monitor-Stereo-Headphones-Style/dp/B002GQM2MA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333935846&sr=1-1 Try one of these.. These are actually very good for the price and they will meet your requirements. You are essentially looking at a closed version of the HTF600. Very similar sound signature better built than the HTF600. These are what your looking for..

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
How about the Samson SR850? I don't have any personal experiences with them but from what I've read, they seem to be neutral sounding, and meet your budget. You might want to look more into them.

I have owned them. Too bright to be neutral IMO.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 32
I too recommend the Shure SRH440. They are well balanced, not bass bloated. They do well with rock and the like. They isolate quite well too. The fire alarm once rang while I was wearing them and didn't hear it. XD

And seriously, at 80$ shipped on amazon, it's not that expensive. Those cans are built like a tank. They'll last decades. Although I would recommend you to buy the 940's velour pads to replace the stock ones after a year of use. Much more comfortable. The stock pads became hard on my set after a year or so. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #28 of 32
Hey guys,

I know i'm constantly changing my wants for a new hp, but what is the best hp for detailed and serious listening under $60 max. If you guys had some ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back