Looking for a new set of cans.
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Circuitbender

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I currently own the Sony MDR-V150s...For a first set of cans, they are pretty good, but I definitely want to step up. I listen to mainly rock and metal, some blues and jazz, which is why I was considering Grado SR-60i's. My only concerns are that they are comfortable, especially for 2+ hours (the Sony's can't stay on for more than 15 minutes!), and as high SQ as possible for under 100 dollars. I don't hate bass, but quantity is not really a concern for me. I prefer quality and clarity to quantity. Also, I would prefer if they weren't closed because in my experience, closed headphones make my ears hot after 20-30 minutes = uncomfortable. I prefer a good soundstage to good isolation, as I have IEM's that I am totally happy with if I want isolation.

Thanks!!!

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 7
get the sr80I i highly recommend them, and after about a month they break in and comfort wont be an issue.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 7
forgot to mention, grados are the best for metal and rock, and blues sounds amazing with them..

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 7
MS1>SR80 IMO for "best value". The MS1 is better suited for all music.

If you want monstrous soundstage, look into the AD700. However, FWIR the bass is anemic.

I went for the MS1.

Happy hunting!
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Also, forgot to mention that I don't have nor do I plan on having a headphone amp for at least a couple of weeks... I have a couple of jobs right now but when I'm done with them (2 weeks) I'll probably be buying stuff to build a tube guitar amplifier, I might pick up parts for a CMoy... But yeah, that may or may not happen, so I'd prefer a headphone with less of a "studio monitor", flat response, suited to amplifying and more a personal listening phone... At this point I'm strongly leaning towards the SR60i... Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back