Looking for a mid range headphone for around 100
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scatman92

New Head-Fier
I've been browsing through the site for a while now and everything, almost everything i've read is the AD700's are the way to go, but maybe with my particular interests, a better suiting headphone might be appropriate. 

Currently i'm using a Sennheiser HD212 Pro, love it but they get really uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so and they do a really bad job at keeping the music in my ears. Leaning toward a comfy headphone rather than a good sounding one but if I can get both for a fair price im all for it.

When it comes to genres of music I listen to everything under the sun, from the Beatles to Chamillionaire to Bach. With that in mind im also not a huge bass person, if its there cool but there is a fine line between enough and too much.

With my research I can never have even two narrowed down, but as of right now i'm between the Grado SR80, Sennheiser 448, and Sony MDR 7506.

Unfortunately I have issues with all of them. The Grado's have amazing sound quality but lack comfort and sound isolation. The Sennheiser i'm afraid will have the same problem as my 212 because maybe the shape of head. And finally the Sony's ear pads are extremely fragile and wear off with minimal use.

If you actual took the time to read this I applaud you and hope you can make a recommendation.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 10
I would recommend the Grados with different pads if they end up being uncomfortable.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 10
+1: Comfies are... comfortable pads, no doubt :)

My bowls were too aggressive with my ears. But things got much better after massaging them with my hands for two minutes as another headfier suggested. You could also wash them a few times with warm water and fabric softener.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for all the help guys, after all the research I've decided to get the M50, mainly because I have yet to see a flaw they possess and/or a review that tells of anything bad to keep in mind when you buy them.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 10
If you truly want world class mids on a budget... Keep a eye out for a used DT48e.. They are pollarizing IMO, but if your main objective is a great mid range for a low price, I really don't see anything for 100.00 that can come close to them IMO..

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 10
One flaw I found when I owned the M50 was that they made my ears really warm. Something about the pleather pads... I never wore them long enough to the point where they would get sweaty, but I bet if I tried to have a long listening session like I do nowadays with my current headphones (5-6 hours), it would certainly become a possibility.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
One flaw I found when I owned the M50 was that they made my ears really warm. Something about the pleather pads... I never wore them long enough to the point where they would get sweaty, but I bet if I tried to have a long listening session like I do nowadays with my current headphones (5-6 hours), it would certainly become a possibility.

I think that has mainly to do with the fact that they're closed ear rather than the material, but if it was more of a mesh it might help the issue. Yeah with my 212 my ears get uncomfortable after 20 minutes

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Hmm. I'm not sure if it's the material or if it's because they're closed. I can leave my W1000X, which are closed for quite a while without any sign of my ears getting warm/hot. But then again, IIRC, those pads are pleather as well. 

Quote:
I think that has mainly to do with the fact that they're closed ear rather than the material, but if it was more of a mesh it might help the issue. Yeah with my 212 my ears get uncomfortable after 20 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back