Looking for a headphone that does well with almost anything, $400 budget
Mar 12, 2015 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BarbecueGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Doesn't matter if it's open or closed-back design. I'm looking for something with an amazing soundstage, good but not overpowering bass, just something that does well with all sorts of different music. Something that's not too boring sounding. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 9
I have tested the hd650's and own a dt990 and I got to say that the hd650 sound better to my ears. Dt990's are great but the treble is very outspoken. I can't judge about the x2 or the hifiman. A lot of people seem to like the he400. You should certainly read some reviews about them.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 9
I would say that HE-400 is a good sidestep from the HD600/650. It's got a good sound stage, good detail, is usually cheaper (especially if you get an open box deal), and it all comes at the expense of being uneven. (Note: you will want an amp for this one.)

But if you do want all-around headphones, I think it has to be the HD600 or HD650 (which just sounds very similar to the HD600, IMO). The only downside is that these need to have an amp driving them to get that goodness. A $99 Magni 2 should sound great. I usually drive my HD600 with a Magni 2 Uber ($149).

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I'm very interested in the Sennheiser HD650. I hear very good things about the 650, but I also see people not so enthusiastic about them. Like some people in the impressions thread. Could that just be because most of the people who own these headphones also own much more expensive headphones? Also, when I take a look at a headphone like the NAD Viso HP50, literally almost every review I look at online people have nothing but good things to say about the sound quality. Most people don't even list any cons in the sound quality. But when I take a look at reviews of the 650, a headphone I'd assume would be miles ahead in sound quality then the HP50. I hear critical things about the 650 quite a lot, some people have a list of cons for that headphone. I hear people say it's slightly soft sounding, there's some grain in the treble, the bass rolls off early in the sub bass, ect. Why do you think that is? 

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I'm very interested in the Sennheiser HD650. I hear very good things about the 650, but I also see people not so enthusiastic about them.

Headphone choice is very personal taste specific. For instance, there a lot of AKG fans who prefer the AKG Q/K7 series over the Senn HD6 series.

Best thing to do would be to see if you can find a place to listen to some different headphones.

The other thing to consider is what devices (make/model) do you plan on using the headphones with? Some headphones benefit a good bit from better amplification. So depending on whether or not you would use a headphone amp (and what kind of amp) that might limit the field a bit for you.

Finally, for "amazing soundstage" as you mentioned in you first post, focus on open headphones. Closed headphones just don't compete in that category.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 9
For the HP50 vs. HD650, you are looking at reviews that are coming from very different perspective. The HP50 is a closed headphone, and closed models tend to have lower SQ and soundstage than open models. The HP50--compared to other closed models--has a very good soundstage and good SQ, so it is only natural that it would get positive reviews. Just keep in mind that they are all qualified by the fact that this is a closed model, and most open models will do better at both.

There are also two major concerns/issues I see with the HD650:

1) The HD600. Prices are lower now, but the HD600 was selling for $400, and the HD650 for $500. Most listeners find these models to be very similar, so for that price delta, it doesn't make much sense spending $100 more when the HD600 has most of the characteristics.

2) Both the HD600 and HD650 are neutral, well-rounded models. This is both their strength and weakness. You can find other models that offer more bass, or more detail, or with better efficiency (eliminating the need for an amp), but those models are pretty much guaranteed to have some other drawback. The HE-400, for instance, is a very accurate headphone with stronger bass, but it also has some harsh treble (at times) and recessed mids compared to my HD600.

See, the criticism of the HD650 (and pretty much any "audiophile" class headphone) comes down to taste, as cel mentioned. You can find all sorts of models that have slight variation from others, and in the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not you like how it sounds.

The HD600/650 is probably the best choice for you right now because you don't seem to have a lot of experience with headphones in this class. Obviously, if you can try before you buy, do it. Otherwise, these are middle of the road, well-rounded headphones that will sound great with anything you throw at them, and you can use either as the measuring stick for other models (at least in this general price range).

PS. Oh and I cannot stress enough that these models need an amp. If you just hook them up to the headphone jack on your phone or computer, they aren't going to sound very good (or not nearly as good as they will with a proper amp).

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Headphone choice is very personal taste specific. For instance, there a lot of AKG fans who prefer the AKG Q/K7 series over the Senn HD6 series.

Best thing to do would be to see if you can find a place to listen to some different headphones.

The other thing to consider is what devices (make/model) do you plan on using the headphones with? Some headphones benefit a good bit from better amplification. So depending on whether or not you would use a headphone amp (and what kind of amp) that might limit the field a bit for you.

Finally, for "amazing soundstage" as you mentioned in you first post, focus on open headphones. Closed headphones just don't compete in that category.

Indeed, that makes sense. Thanks for the answer! 

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 9
For the HP50 vs. HD650, you are looking at reviews that are coming from very different perspective. The HP50 is a closed headphone, and closed models tend to have lower SQ and soundstage than open models. The HP50--compared to other closed models--has a very good soundstage and good SQ, so it is only natural that it would get positive reviews. Just keep in mind that they are all qualified by the fact that this is a closed model, and most open models will do better at both.

There are also two major concerns/issues I see with the HD650:

1) The HD600. Prices are lower now, but the HD600 was selling for $400, and the HD650 for $500. Most listeners find these models to be very similar, so for that price delta, it doesn't make much sense spending $100 more when the HD600 has most of the characteristics.

2) Both the HD600 and HD650 are neutral, well-rounded models. This is both their strength and weakness. You can find other models that offer more bass, or more detail, or with better efficiency (eliminating the need for an amp), but those models are pretty much guaranteed to have some other drawback. The HE-400, for instance, is a very accurate headphone with stronger bass, but it also has some harsh treble (at times) and recessed mids compared to my HD600.

See, the criticism of the HD650 (and pretty much any "audiophile" class headphone) comes down to taste, as cel mentioned. You can find all sorts of models that have slight variation from others, and in the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not you like how it sounds.

The HD600/650 is probably the best choice for you right now because you don't seem to have a lot of experience with headphones in this class. Obviously, if you can try before you buy, do it. Otherwise, these are middle of the road, well-rounded headphones that will sound great with anything you throw at them, and you can use either as the measuring stick for other models (at least in this general price range).

PS. Oh and I cannot stress enough that these models need an amp. If you just hook them up to the headphone jack on your phone or computer, they aren't going to sound very good (or not nearly as good as they will with a proper amp).

You're right, that it true. Do you think the Beyerdynamic T90 is a good step up from the 650? According to HeadphoneReviewHQ the T90 is about 95% as good as the T1’s and cost less than half the price. And the T1's are his favorite headphones of all time. I'd power them with a Schiit MAGNI 2 & Modi 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back