Looking for a good set and amp (newbie to this world)
Mar 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KBT2012

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I didn't find an intro section so a little about myself which may help you guys steer me in the right direction.

I am into car audio and completed my first build about a year ago, I did full audio in a 2010 F150, Boston Acoustics SR50 components, SR80 coaxials, Rockford T400-4, T500-1bdcp, Image Dynamics sub, audiocontrol Lc6i etc.  Sounded fantastic for my expectations.  I recently got rid of the truck and have another that I'm not prepared to mess with just yet so - I figured I'd give the headphone world a try.  Now, I know that brand names aren't the best to go with but on an impulse I bought the Beats Studio - I already didn't have that great of a gut feeling when I got them, and I put them on for a test run and it was just horrific....the mids were muddy beyond belief and the bass distored the highs and it was more shocking....to say the least I returned them and lesson learned lol..

Anyhow, I'd like to get into entry/mid level headphones and see where they take me.  I definitely like my bass but I want it to also be correct and not make the mids muddy like the pro's did, it just made me sick to my stomach.  I know absolutely nothing about where to start with amps for headphones.  My budget is probably going to be in the $500 range, maybe more if I feel the need to really dish out the extra money for a good pair but I won't exceed it by 1-200.  I was thinking $400 for the headphones and $100 for the amp but maybe you guys have other suggestions for me.

I've looked at different Sennheiser HD series headphones, some Beyerdynamic products, but I haven't heard ANY of this stuff in person and I won't have the chance to (rural West Texan here).  If there is any other statement that may help steer me somewhere, I do like my highs I had my crossovers in my truck set in their favor and I could mash out the power through those Boston IS tweeters they were amazing.  I listen to a very dynamic set of music, hip hop, dance, house music, you name it I've got it.  I've heard a lot about the Beyer DT 770's, Sennheiser HD 600s.......what do you guys think about these?

Oh and what I will be using the headphones on primarily will be a 2013 iMac - I'm not sure if that will shape amplifier recommendations because I'm fairly certain the iMac doesn't have that great of a sound processor (I won't use the word card since obviously....).

Any help is greatly appreciated, any information at all.  I look forward to posting and learning more about this world.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Got my fostex t50-rp and right from putting them on i can tell they have great detail and at almost half the price($70-100) of my senn hd-380 pro's($170) which i also like a lot.

For a amp have you looked at the Objective2? You can buy it re-built from jdslabs for $144 and its considered to be one of the best hp amps available. I have a O2 pcb coming this week so i hope it really is that good once i build it haha.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Got my fostex t50-rp and right from putting them on i can tell they have great detail and at almost half the price($70-100) of my senn hd-380 pro's($170) which i also like a lot.

For a amp have you looked at the Objective2? You can buy it re-built from jdslabs for $144 and its considered to be one of the best hp amps available. I have a O2 pcb coming this week so i hope it really is that good once i build it haha.

+1 for the fostex t50-rp, but in order for them to sound good you need to mod them.  All together with mods and everything it will set you back around $150, or you can buy them already modded.  Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers sound amazing as well.  The other thing with these is that they are a very neutral phone, so if you are more of a basehead i would suggest beyerdynamic dt770 600ohm.  Also if you are willing to get an amp i would suggest you pair it with a DAC.  If you are willing to invest in both you can get the Schiit Magni and Modi, or you can get the JDS labs ODAC and O2 amp.  Both are good choices. Hope this helps 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 4
I like my Beyer 770's and Senn HD650's, but the Beyers do have recessed mids and the Senns do have rolled off treble and sub-bass. Neither is anywhere near as bad as any Beats products, though. It sounds like you're looking for a more neutral presentation (I take it the Beats had way too much mid-bass for you?), so I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880's. There are a bunch of different versions, but they're all pretty similar (except for the 32 Ohm one, which many say to avoid). You could pair it with one of the amps mentioned; I would take a look at the Fiio E12 as well if you want portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back